Ps4 - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 89 Old 02-23-13, 06:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System
Re: Ps4

I can tell you the next PS4 will be AMD based CPU and GPU along with a Blu-Ray drive. I just hope they bring back "Install other OS" to the PS4!

PS4

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 8086; 02-26-13 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 Old 02-25-13, 05:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Here's a link to some updated stats on the new PS4 console.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...-playstation-4

I agree the price need to be around $300 to really grab public interest.
post #23 of 89 Old 02-25-13, 09:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Here's a link to some updated stats on the new PS4 console.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...-playstation-4

I agree the price need to be around $300 to really grab public interest.
I can see an introduction or early adopter price of $399 as a good possiblity. Espceailly since the PS3 sold for $599 at launch and Sony was taking a big financial hit on each one they sold, this was largely due to the Blu-ray drive, CELL BBE (complex, expensive, low yields: lots of duds), and proprietary Rambus RAM. The AMD platform will certainly be cheaper for sony to produce and it seems like that's a hard learned lesson they learned from the PS3.

With No Reverse Compatibility planed for the PS4, I'll be holding on tightly to my gently used 60GB PS3.

Save the whales?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by 8086; 02-25-13 at 09:37 PM.

post #24 of 89 Old 02-26-13, 01:31 PM
Shackster

I will gladly pay 399 if that ends up being the price. Even 499 wouldn't turn me off to it but I have my fingers crossed for 399. I don't see it launching for 299 but that would be nuts and Microsoft would have an uphill battle with the next Xbox unless it packed serious exclusive features. Either way, I'll still support both
post #25 of 89 Old 02-26-13, 02:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
beefo wrote: View Post
I will gladly pay 399 if that ends up being the price. Even 499 wouldn't turn me off to it but I have my fingers crossed for 399. I don't see it launching for 299 but that would be nuts and Microsoft would have an uphill battle with the next Xbox unless it packed serious exclusive features. Either way, I'll still support both
I have to reflect back on what one of my Educators told me as a kid: Its software that sells hardware. Good hardware is useless on its own. Over the past decades there have been many great systems with amazing processors and specs which have failed. At the same time lots of inferior systems have thrived due to great support from the manufacturer, 3rd parties, and independent developers. The early days of MAC vs PC come to mind here when IBM made an open platform that took on the closed platform APPLE whom wanted to control every part of their system. The WII is another great example here of how you can have a fun gaming platform that isn't HD nor is the most powerful. It all came down to good intuitive design and good software support.

1. We shouldn't focus so much on the hardware as it doesn't matter quite as much as the policy and level of service you get from each company: PSN online gaming is free, XBOX charges you $$$, likes to ban people for almost anything, Microsoft wont let you trade games (and much more I cant recall).

2. With the PS3, it was a much better deal compared to the XBOX. MS liked to charge for the little stuff. For example, A Sony controller automatically included Wireless and a battery with their controllers where as MS liked to charge separately for both. Sony Included a HD Optical drive, MS wanted to charge a few hundred for their HD-DVD drive. Sony Brand PS3 peripherals are generally 10-20% cheaper than the counterpart from Microsoft. Hard Drive upgrades for PS3 cost less than the XBOX. You pay for XBOX Live but not to use PSN. When you added it all up so that each system had the same level of features*, the PS3 comes out waay ahead of the xbox. Despite the fact that MS had a lower cost of entry, total cost of ownership of a PS3 is far better than an XBOX. (more to this than I remember)

*Thats ignoring the actual system specs of Ram, CPU, Graphics, drive size.

Save the whales?

Last edited by 8086; 03-01-13 at 02:36 AM.
post #26 of 89 Old 02-26-13, 03:24 PM
Shackster

I absolutely agree that the ps3, even at launch price, was a better value. With blu ray, hdmi, lossless audio, wifi, rechargeable controllers. They both have very worthy exclusives. I dislike paying for live and I wish that would go away or maybe follow the trend of psn+ and start giving out more content with it (free games, an occasional movie) paying just to play is pretty weak so hopefully they can tweak that this generation. Either way, I think they'll both be very great systems with plenty of great games
post #27 of 89 Old 02-26-13, 09:55 PM
Shackster

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-your-pc-isnt/

Here's a good article just kinda highlighting that the ps4 is more advanced than all the haters give it credit for
post #28 of 89 Old 03-01-13, 01:19 AM
Senior Shackster
steve1616

I am kind of scared as to what the PS4 will sale for. All this hardware will not be cheap. I would think the custom APU would cost around 250 best case scenario. I could see it being more, and that is not even including the hard drive, blu ray drive, body, controller, and etc. I really wouldn't be surprised if it sold for 599 at launch.
post #29 of 89 Old 03-01-13, 02:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
steve1616 wrote: View Post
I am kind of scared as to what the PS4 will sale for. All this hardware will not be cheap. I would think the custom APU would cost around 250 best case scenario. I could see it being more, and that is not even including the hard drive, blu ray drive, body, controller, and etc. I really wouldn't be surprised if it sold for 599 at launch.
I can tell by looking at the early specs and details that Sony has designed the Playstation 4 around a price point with the intent of making a thin profit or breaking even.

You are thinking of retail costs. Sony will buy this stuff in volume and get a hefty discount in the process. Right now, AMD APUs sell for around $100 retail. BD-Drive might cost <$40 in bulk. The case will probably cost +/- $5. Considering the PS4 won't include separate ram for the CPU and will share GDDR4 or 5 for CPU/GPU, this alone will save Sony about $30-40 per unit. Controllers and peripherals have a high profit margin to begin with and won't add much to the cost. $299-399 does not seem too unreasonable; which would put it on par with a similar spec PC that comes with a mouse and keyboard.

Lets remember that Sony sold the first generation PS3 for a huge loss. Sony was supposed to use a CELL BBE that had all of it's SPE and PPE's enabled but decided to cut back on that spec to improve the manufacturing yields. And that primary reasons for it being so expensive were the cutting edge technolgies CELL BBE (lots of duds, large DIE size), Rambus RDRAM, Blu-Ray Drive, etc which at the time were't being mass produced by anyone in volumes that were economically friendly.

Save the whales?

Last edited by 8086; 03-01-13 at 02:35 AM.
post #30 of 89 Old 03-01-13, 03:09 PM

My System

Using GDDR5 may not be all that horrible if AMD sticks to 512 KB of L2 cache per core for the CPU side. If they cut that to 256 KB, then there will certainly be a lot of swapping using GDDR5. Seems AMD is switching back to the old 2-tier memory structure for their low power chips.

I'd like the next console to NOT look like a George Foreman grill, which looks like next to all the square boxes in an A/V rack.