PS4 and xbox One dillemma (kind of)... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 08-10-13, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
PS4 and xbox One dillemma (kind of)...

Looking for help from someone who has been following the whole comparison madness between the soon to be released game systems from Microsoft and Sony. I have been asking people and searching to find out about what type of audio capability both systems will have as far as movies and music are concerned. Of course they will both be digital, but no specifics about any Dolby digital EX, DTS, etc that shows either to be a superior HT device. I have seem to hit a point where I get the same dry information that I've heard since they were officially announced, and with the rumor of PS4 not supporting CD at all, I am lost for a reliable info source.

I do own both of the current 360 and PS3 in which the ps3 suffers from YLOD and I figured the smart thing would be to replace it with the new system. My kind of dilemma is that as it looks now if do get the new PS4 I am losing audio features and capabilities that I use and like to have for my music collection. If its really the case then I feel I may need to try to repair or buy a used ps3 to use until it becomes extinct and just have the Xbox for gaming.

Any input answers would be helpful...thanks in advance!

When do you know your subwoofer is loud enough? When the Bass Hz ...padding is fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-11-13, 10:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: PS4 and xbox One dillemma (kind of)...

As far as I know the PS4 will have the same audio codecs capabilities as the PS3, CD and SACD support has been removed from it. Now with the Xbox one info on whether or not it will support CDs is unknown since MS hasn't said anything in regards to this.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #3 of 19 Old 08-17-13, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Thanks for the input Ares. I know cd's are becoming obsolete but I just figured since the first gen PS they have had a following for audiophiles. I guess it's time to convert the PS1 to my dedicated CD player!

When do you know your subwoofer is loud enough? When the Bass Hz ...padding is fun!

post #4 of 19 Old 08-17-13, 09:34 PM
Shackster

Hi

I hope it wil support 96kHz or is it now with ps3 all ready i know that ps3 support dts.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-18-13, 03:36 AM
Shackster

Quote:
GeorgioDavid wrote: View Post
Hi

I hope it wil support 96kHz or is it now with ps3 all ready i know that ps3 support dts.
And 7.1 DolbyTrue HD 96kHz is must for next gen
post #6 of 19 Old 08-18-13, 04:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
GeorgioDavid wrote: View Post
And 7.1 DolbyTrue HD 96kHz is must for next gen
Yep the PS4 and PS3 are able to do True HD 96kHz up to 192kHz.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #7 of 19 Old 08-18-13, 12:50 PM
Shackster
Ivan

My System

Doesn't really make sense that it won't play CDs...I'm personally going to be going with XBox.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-18-13, 01:00 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Bass Hz wrote: View Post
Thanks for the input Ares. I know cd's are becoming obsolete but I just figured since the first gen PS they have had a following for audiophiles. I guess it's time to convert the PS1 to my dedicated CD player!
You can maybe set up cd player to ps4
post #9 of 19 Old 08-18-13, 11:17 PM
Shackster

I'm going with the Xbox One specifically because of all of the entertainment features it has for my theater. I can't imagine them not going all in with everything they are trying to make it. I know a lot of people have whined about the kinect always on to listen for "Xbox On" but that can be turned off. I just found out that the kinect also has an IR blaster. That's going to be a huge plus for me. I don't think the PS4 stinks but both systems have already been broke down in terms of specs and they are almost identical. The only difference I can see is the entertainment options that the PS4 lacks. In really looking forward to using that HDMI in port as well for my STB.

Last edited by Mike Edwards; 08-21-13 at 12:02 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-19-13, 08:54 AM
Shackster
Ivan

My System

^^^forgot about the IR blaster. That'll definitely come in handy.