Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have very little knowledge on mobile audio systems, not completely stupid but I've always been more of a home theater guy. Anyway I've had a subwoofer for a long time and it's just been laying around since I sold my Toyota several years ago and I'd like to install it into my S-10 only I don't know how to integrate it into the stock head unit.

Is there a plug kit or something that would aid in this process? The directions say to run a fuse link over to the ignition wire only I don't have a clue where to hook in to that and don't want to start guessing. I always thought you run both wires out to the battery but that's not what this suggests.

Anyway. I'd also like some good suggestions on upgrading the speakers. I've got speakers in the doors and in the dash. The speakers in the dash appear to be 4x6 and the door speakers I would guess are 4'' components. I'd like to keep the budget around $60 per speaker but willing to take plenty of suggestions.

Subwoofer is a Kenwood KSC-WA801

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/Global/Consumer/Manuals/ksc-wa801.pdf

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Your sub needs an amp if it doesnt have one already, does it (just noticed it should have, looking at the pdf). You need to run a power cable from the battery to power the sub, but the ignition cable is a sort of trigger that turns the amp on and off to prevent it draining your battery when the car isnt running. This is usually on the rear of the head unit, or with the bunch of cables in the car that go to the rear of the head unit itself.

Your head unit will need an output signal socket, typically a phono cable, to run the signal to the amp for your sub, and you can buy them (phono cables) with a 3rd cable in the middle to use as the ignition wire. I'm not that familiar with US setups, so I will bow out at this point, but thats how the install bit works, and what the ignition wire is as far as I am aware.

Ive never looked into changing the speakers, Ive only ever installed subs in to cars, so cant really help there and hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your head unit will need an output signal socket, typically a phono cable, to run the signal to the amp for your sub, and you can buy them with a 3rd cable in the middle to use as the ignition wire. I'm not that familiar with US setups, so I will bow out at this point, but thats how the install bit works, and what the ignition wire is as far as I am aware.
Thanks for the info.

The Delco head unit has a long white cap screwed onto the end...that may be the phono cable output socket...not sure. I wish I could find some information on this stock stereo so wouldn't have to pull it out of the dash to investigate. I do know right next to the wire cluster is an unused plug I assume that would be for additional speakers (rear speakers?)

In any case I'd like to plan this all out before performing surgery.

The Kenwood subwoofer manual suggests tapping into each speaker to send signal to the subwoofer and then back to the speakers post-crossover. I'd rather use a phono to rca cable coming off the head unit to the sub (if applicable) like you would in a home theater setup. I'd like to avoid running that many wires if at all possible and don't really think it's necessary to amplify the dash and door speakers.

My aim in all this is simply to upgrade from stock, but I don't want it coming out looking like a 16-year old kid got a hold of my truck with a butter knife and electrical tape. I know I could build a nice custom sub for this but I already have one not being used and it should do fine, may as well use it instead of having it lay around.

I have thought about just getting a new head unit, one that particularly is a Digital Media Receiver with no cd. I'd like to find one that is Android Friendly (Droid X specifically) and all I'm seeing so far is Ipod/Iphone friendly. The reason being is I'd like to possibly take advantage of using the Pandora radio app.

Thanks again for your help...anyone else please chime in. I have a good idea what I want to do...just don't always have the know-how to put it all together and do it right.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks for the info.

The Delco head unit has a long white cap screwed onto the end...that may be the phono cable output socket...not sure. I wish I could find some information on this stock stereo so wouldn't have to pull it out of the dash to investigate. I do know right next to the wire cluster is an unused plug I assume that would be for additional speakers (rear speakers?)

In any case I'd like to plan this all out before performing surgery.

The Kenwood subwoofer manual suggests tapping into each speaker to send signal to the subwoofer and then back to the speakers post-crossover. I'd rather use a phono to rca cable coming off the head unit to the sub (if applicable) like you would in a home theater setup. I'd like to avoid running that many wires if at all possible and don't really think it's necessary to amplify the dash and door speakers.

To do a really clean install we used to take the signal from the rear speakers into the inline converter that converts the signal from the speaker wire into an rca connector. Then we could avoid pulling the stock deck out. We ran the amp kit wires to the amplifier mounted close to the subwoofer. Doing this avoided lost of extra wires and problems associated with removing the stock deck.

My aim in all this is simply to upgrade from stock, but I don't want it coming out looking like a 16-year old kid got a hold of my truck with a butter knife and electrical tape. I know I could build a nice custom sub for this but I already have one not being used and it should do fine, may as well use it instead of having it lay around.

I have thought about just getting a new head unit, one that particularly is a Digital Media Receiver with no cd. I'd like to find one that is Android Friendly (Droid X specifically) and all I'm seeing so far is Ipod/Iphone friendly. The reason being is I'd like to possibly take advantage of using the Pandora radio app.
Adding an aftermarket deck is differently the best way to go about it. It can be tricky to remove the stock deck and a lot of GM vehicles need an install kit that sticks out from the dash and looks funny.

Thanks again for your help...anyone else please chime in. I have a good idea what I want to do...just don't always have the know-how to put it all together and do it right.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Everything said by the above posts is good info. The adaptor that you need is a high to low level adaptor that brings the speaker wire voltage down to respectable levels for the amp. An easy location for you to locate an ignition wire on your S-10 is behind the knee kick panel right below the steering wheel, remove it and use a test light to locate it. I don't recall what color the wire is but if memory serves me it is a pink wire.:T

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

If it does have a RCA connection it would most likely be an input for the optional CD shuttle. Which unit do you have?

http://replacementradios.com/index.php?cPath=21_28_79
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/35256-01-s-10-zr2-need-help-audio-system.html#ixzz137qiCodk
Either that or a tape deck, my 2002 S-10 had a tape deck below the dash. it's been so long since i stripped mine and did the full blown install that don't remember how it connected, but i'm sure that it's not a phono in/out, they really did not include input feature like that on older model cars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either that or a tape deck, my 2002 S-10 had a tape deck below the dash. it's been so long since i stripped mine and did the full blown install that don't remember how it connected, but i'm sure that it's not a phono in/out, they really did not include input feature like that on older model cars.
I just know there is a white stem about an 1.5 inches long screwed into the back of the unit, bottom center. I guess it could be part of how it mounts, just thought of that.

Additionally there is a place for a plug sitting right next to main wiring harness, the non used plug is similar to the main harness only it's about half as big. Don't have a clue what either does which is why I'd love to have a manual for that thing, but I can't find one. Don't have a tape deck or cd shuffle installed, but that would make sense for the other unused connections.

All the radio says is R D S on the front (security?), no other model or make but I know it's got to be a Delco.

If I were to buy a new head unit. Would I be able to find a plug converter kit for it? I can do the wiring I just would rather have the option to let it go back to stock if I decided to sell the truck in a couple years. *What I'm wanting may be unrealistic

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I just know there is a white stem about an 1.5 inches long screwed into the back of the unit, bottom center. I guess it could be part of how it mounts, just thought of that.

Additionally there is a place for a plug sitting right next to main wiring harness, the non used plug is similar to the main harness only it's about half as big. Don't have a clue what either does which is why I'd love to have a manual for that thing, but I can't find one. Don't have a tape deck or cd shuffle installed, but that would make sense for the other unused connections.

All the radio says is R D S on the front (security?), no other model or make but I know it's got to be a Delco.

If I were to buy a new head unit. Would I be able to find a plug converter kit for it? I can do the wiring I just would rather have the option to let it go back to stock if I decided to sell the truck in a couple years. *What I'm wanting may be unrealistic
The extention on the rear of the deck is probly to support the unit most have them or something similar. If you were to replace your deck that would be as simple as plug and play as all you have todo is get the particular adaptor for your vehicle and away you go.:T

I think the RDS means Radio data system which would mean that it displays the radio stations song that it is playing so long as the station provides that service. Either that it's for security. It's been awhile since i had my S-10.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Looks like a nice list that will work with your truck i was going to suggest that you use 6.5" speakers in the doors the dash however is a different story, pop the grill off and you'll see what i mean there is probly only a plate in there with a factory tweeter in it if that is the case it is sized for a 4x6 but you'll find you will need a riser for the speaker due to duct work and possibly modifying the grill not in a cosmetic manner though just on the inside so you have clearance for the driver once it's mounted.
This is all just coming back to from when i did mine. I had to make a custom plate using MDF in which i soaked in fiberglass resin (just so it wasn't flakey when i mounted it) then had to trim the inner grill to clear the speakers. Once you have it open you'll see what i mean, this is not a tough project it just takes some planning to get those drivers in there. The door speakers will go in no problem.:T

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a nice list that will work with your truck i was going to suggest that you use 6.5" speakers in the doors the dash however is a different story, pop the grill off and you'll see what i mean there is probly only a plate in there with a factory tweeter in it if that is the case it is sized for a 4x6 but you'll find you will need a riser for the speaker due to duct work and possibly modifying the grill not in a cosmetic manner though just on the inside so you have clearance for the driver once it's mounted.
Actually I replaced the heater core yesterday so I had all that out, seemed like there was a good 2 or 3 inches of clearance below. I'm going to look closer at it tomorrow before I order anything.

I keep comparing between Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix and Sonic seems to be much cheaper...just wonder how reputable they are. Seems pretty legit, website doesn't look like a beginner wrote the code like some of these others I've found after goggling.

I may mosey over to Parts-Express.com too and see what they have to offer. There are a lot of brands I've never heard of before and several others I gave up for dead long ago that are now resurgent. I haven't really cared about car audio in 10 years.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Good deal that sounds like they should clear in that case.:T As far as Sonix, i believe they are reputable, they have high rackings on some of the sites i've been on. The thing to look out for is weather the product is warrented by them or the manufacturer, at any rate even if they offer the warrenty they should stand by it, might be one of those things to look into before ordering.:T

Oh, i meant to mention earlier on that mine was an 02 so there may be a differance in clearance and whats behind the grill. :dontknow:

Keep us posted.:T

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still reading up on a lot of this stuff, I wanting to find a head unit that is droid friendly as I said before. I've found a couple candidates.

Kenwood KDC-MP345U

Dual XHD7714

Feature Desires:
  • Hands free calling (bluetooth capabilities)
  • Pandora Radio Streaming from my Droid X (not sure I'd really use that, but I'd like the option)
  • External Storage with multiple platform playback ability (Apparently some people are hooking up external hard drives to their head units)

Question on speakers: My truck dash features 4 x 6 speakers, they don't have tweeters that I can tell. I'm wondering if it might be better off to look at 4'' woofers with a conversion kit or should I go with a 4x6 with a tweeter? I'm going for clarity more so than low to mid range performance out of these speakers. I don't plan on running the amp off any of these speakers.

Question 2 on speakers: How important should I base my head unit's rms/channel output vs. what the rms rating on the individual speaker indicates it should be run at? I wouldn't think this would be a big deal but I wonder if just running stock if I would in many cases be under-driving basically about any decent speaker I'd choose.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Still reading up on a lot of this stuff, I wanting to find a head unit that is droid friendly as I said before. I've found a couple candidates.

Kenwood KDC-MP345U

Dual XHD7714

Feature Desires:
  • Hands free calling (bluetooth capabilities)
  • Pandora Radio Streaming from my Droid X (not sure I'd really use that, but I'd like the option)
  • External Storage with multiple platform playback ability (Apparently some people are hooking up external hard drives to their head units)

Question on speakers: My truck dash features 4 x 6 speakers, they don't have tweeters that I can tell. I'm wondering if it might be better off to look at 4'' woofers with a conversion kit or should I go with a 4x6 with a tweeter? I'm going for clarity more so than low to mid range performance out of these speakers. I don't plan on running the amp off any of these speakers.

Question 2 on speakers: How important should I base my head unit's rms/channel output vs. what the rms rating on the individual speaker indicates it should be run at? I wouldn't think this would be a big deal but I wonder if just running stock if I would in many cases be under-driving basically about any decent speaker I'd choose.
The Headunit is going to be all you my friend as i've been out of the car audio tec thing so long i can't give any advice other then what brands and of the 2 choices you have i would go with the Kenwood due to reputation, i have never owned one but know of several folks that really like them.

Are you planning on driving the speakers off the Headunits amp?

I would go for the speakers with the tweeter (coaxial) and in the 4x6 size if they will fit. The coaxis will get you more dispersed sound around the vehicle as opposed to having just highs in the door where they will be more directed down low.

On headunits lots of them say they offer say 50watts x4 but with aftermarket speakers they will ask for more and won't be driven comfortably with that power, outboard is the way to go. If you are planning on just using the headunit for driving them then i'd look at the most efficiant speakers with a low watt rating so it is able to drive them.

The claims of power that car audio companies put on there headunits are just that, claims. There is really no way to pack that kind of power and all the processing components into such a tiny unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok here's what I ordered thru Crutchfield...

Sony DSX-S200X (includes in-dash kit, antenna adapter, wire harness adapter)

Kicker 07DS600 (includes bracket kit, wire harness adapter)

Kicker 07DS460 (Crutchfield does not list 4x6 speakers for my vehicle but all the measurements match up...I added a 10 dollar wire harness kit

I'll pick up an amp kit locally. I actually think I may have a lot of what I need laying around in my garage.

Decided to go with Crutchfield because of the added value of the included brackets...it was just easier getting everything in one place even if could have probably saved by shopping around all over the place.

Thanks for everyones help, looks like I'll be putting this together some time thursday or friday. I may rough in the amp kit this weekend.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts