Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Probably another stupid question, but here goes. Have searched this forum but am becoming more and more confused……………:dizzy:

I’m designing a dedicated home theater, 20’ x 15’, but plan on watching both movies and television (HD)in it. I will use a fixed screen, wall mounted, and have not decided on a projector yet, but I do not plan on skimping in this area.

I understand (I think) that a 2.35 movie projected on a 16:9 (1.78) screen will be physically smaller because of the dimensions of the 1.78 screen; that is there will be black bars on the top and bottom of the image.

So I guess my question is what does a 1.78 image look like projected on a 2.35 screen? I’m trying to wade through all the great information on this forum, but am becoming more and more confused. It appears (unless I’ve misinterpreted what I’ve read) that some projectors can automatically compensate for the different formats it is projecting? Does this help eliminate any of the "black bars"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--Wheel

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Wheel,

I'm sure you will get better more in-depth answers than this one. I too am under the impression that some of the higher-priced PJ's have ways to compensate for image ratio, but I don't know which ones and have never looked into it.

A site that will help you visualize what various screen aspect ratios will look like is http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?96402b00dc9fb07f8f1b0efcee641ce5 unfortunately, it doesn't let you enter in your own ratios (you must choose from a list), but it does show you what happens when a wider AR (aspect ratio) image is shown on a narrower AR screen and vice-versa.

The narrower AR image displayed on a wider AR screen would have black bars on the sides.

·
Registered
538 Posts
On a fixed screen, you will never be able to eliminate black bars entirely. You just have to decide what form of black bars you are willing to deal with. If you make your screen 1.78, then you can use any projector and you will have black bars on top and bottom while watching 2.35 material. If you make youre screen 2.35 then you can fill the screen wtih 2.35 material, but 1.78 material will have black pillar boxes at the left and right. For this type of screen, you will need specific projectors with appropriate zoom capability or an anamorphic lens to size the picture to the screen. To my knowledge, the one projector on the market that makes the zooming particularly easy is the the Panasonic PT-AE3000. Anamorphic lenses can work with just about any projector, but cost a lot. There pros and cons to zooming or lenses, and there are MANY threads out there debating the topic. Chances are that hydra will find this thread, as well, before you are done.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Myself I'm going with 16:9 DIY screen (out of wood and black velvet) for (HDTV/movies) and I'll be using masking (stretched glued velvet to foam pieces) to get a 2.40:1. (movies) You might ask why 2.40:1 and not 2:35:1?, the reason being that more and more movies are coming out in 2.42:1 aspect ratio, which should make both 2.35:1 and 2.42:1 aspect ratios happy. According to other users, the image 'lost' while watching 2.35:1 movies on 2.40:1 is not visable, and the velvet absorbs the extra couple of inches pretty good. Anyways that's my plan... :neener:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts