Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing to place the order within the next 1hr or so.

Any reason not to? And would something for 1800 be better? Example: Marantz?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I say go for it, Emotiva is the brand I want when I get a pre amp. Which I wont need til I move outa my parents home.

Hope someday I will be able to afford something as nice as this. My whole system costed a little more then this unit :(.
Congrats !! :D Your theater is epic !

Is the XPA-5 ?? A good budget pre amp or is it better to buy a $2000 one for more power?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It is an engineering Tour de Force. I have no complaints about mine, except that it does lose synch with my Oppo (audio will cut out). But that's easily fixed by a power cycle or soft reset. It decodes the alphabet soup of Dolby and DTS schemes in up to 7.2 format. The X<MC-1 also accommodates (manual) upload of REW filters, with the promise of a future firmware update for automatic transfer. Dirac filter uploads are fully automatic. For audiophiles, it goes one-better than "direct" mode and incorporates a "reference stereo" mode for truly transparent operation (i..e no processing or bass management in the signal path). The feature list is arm length and the build quality is very high. Cosmetically, it's a "love it or leave it" affair, thought the front panel lights can be dimmed or extinguished; a nice feature since they can be garish in the dark. But as a whole, no complaints. I wish I could comment on sound quality, but I changed out multiple items at the same time so it wouldn't be a fair comparison. The XMC-1pre/pro and XPA-5 power amp are a formidable combo, delivering breathtaking dynamics, impressive SQ, and seemingly bottomless reserves of power.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is the XPA-5 ?? A good budget pre amp or is it better to buy a $2000 one for more power?
The XPA-5 is a great amp (not pre amp) @ 200wpc.
200wpc is more than enough power for most set ups. Having 200wpc and only needing 80wpc will do nothing but waste your money. Examining your details (space size, speaker specs, maximum listening SPL expected..) is how to determine how much power is needed.
Less power is needed for.... lower max listening levels, smaller rooms, more efficient speaker specs, driving speakers with low frequencies cut out.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The XPA-5 is a great amp (not pre amp) @ 200wpc.
200wpc is more than enough power for most set ups. Having 200wpc and only needing 80wpc will do nothing but waste your money. Examining your details (space size, speaker specs, maximum listening SPL expected..) is how to determine how much power is needed.
Less power is needed for.... lower max listening levels, smaller rooms, more efficient speaker specs, driving speakers with low frequencies cut out.
Good points, but is extra power really a waste in the long term, where bigger rooms and/or different system components play together? And just a "buyer beware" heads-up: speaker specs are not always the best indicator of real-world performance. Their recommended handling/capability is sometimes peak power rather than continuous power. But assuming that the speaker specs are good, how do you calculate or determine the amount of headroom needed?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have the XMC-1 in my cart...................

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points, but is extra power really a waste in the long term, where bigger rooms and/or different system components play together? And just a "buyer beware" heads-up: speaker specs are not always the best indicator of real-world performance. Their recommended handling/capability is sometimes peak power rather than continuous power. But assuming that the speaker specs are good, how do you calculate or determine the amount of headroom needed?
You don't... just crank it up till it :hsd:

·
Registered
225 Posts
With regards to specs, again and again Emotiva has been proven to show actual, true, real-world specs as opposed to the misleading specs other manufacturers tend to offer. The biggest one is watts per channel. When Emotiva says 200 watts per channel, they mean 200 watts per channel. If many other manufacturers say 200 watts per channel, chances are they mean 200 watts per channel when you're only running 2 channels, and running more channels decreases the power out put.

And when it comes to power, it's better to have as much as you can afford and have extra on hand than to get as much as you need and then realize you needed more.

Can't recommend Emotiva enough.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amplifier talk does not peel me away from purchasing xmc-1

...quick before I do it and the wife wakes up to find out

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too late. I bought it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Love my Emotiva's, wish I could afford the XMC1. Maybe someday when I grow up and get 7 jobs :rofl:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good points, but is extra power really a waste in the long term, where bigger rooms and/or different system components play together?
Are you asking about bigger rooms and different equipment you may have to power some time in the future? Over sizing now is a good idea for future proofing because quality amps should last for many years and tech for amps doesn't really get out-of-date as processors do.
But I wouldn't suggest spending a huge amount of money on an oversized amp that could be going toward a much better set of speakers to enjoy now.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Congrads on the XMC-1! I think you are gonna love it. And with the pending Dirac firmware update. Well, enough said. So did you get in on the 10% off special?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:crying:
Congrads on the XMC-1! I think you are gonna love it. And with the pending Dirac firmware update. Well, enough said. So did you get in on the 10% off special?
I got in on the used 4 month old special for 1700 including the unregistered Dirac live license. Maybe not the best deal but thays the deal I got.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Congrats... I lover emotiva gear. I have the UMC 200. it is rock solid and decodes everything. i will upgrade in a year or 2

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm really excited to have the ability to use my own target curves.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My only issue with the Emotiva is its already outdated as it does not have Atmos and no DTSx upgradability.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts