Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Why not a smaller but higher tuned ported box. If you're just doing it for music and going almost consistently rock, why not have a tune of around 35 hz or so? Most of your music won't be that low, and you'll be able to get some higher SPL's with it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well this instance I was giving was for a music only system. I would probably not go that route if he starts watching movies with it. It still may not be an issue with that small amount of power but excursion may be exceeded.but the woofer may still be in the mechanical limits. Is he absolute in his restrictions with the size of the enclosure? He could have much greater options with a bigger box.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, I can't get my pictures to upload to resize down to where they're viewable. The graphs would be huge. If you want I can try and e-mail the wpr files to you and you could just open and have a look in winisd that way.

I don't think my original plan for mid 30's tuning would work very well. You'd have to have a tiny box and even then the port just wouldn't fit. I think maybe ported in the low-mid 20s in a box still your size would work well. Most of those plate amps have a HPF built in I've just found out much to my disliking. You would still be fine with that if it doesn't have a HPF, I just wouldn't tell him to try to play WOTW at reference levels with it. This is all assuming that you get the 10" dayton HF. It's on sale now too!!

Looking at the size restrictions and everything, I might be more inclined to just keep it sealed if there's going to be a dual role including movies. You really just need a bigger box to keep things in check like port length and size. That would keep your port flow down pretty well. Try your best to talk him into a bigger box and we can get some good results that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.