Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought an older/un-used 350 watt / 4 ohm Stryke Audio plate amp. I want to get a 10" driver for a small (1 to 2 cu. ft.) sealed subwoofer for tight/punchy bass for rock music in a medium sized living room (matched to a pair of psb Alpha B1 bookshelves x'd-over at 60 - 80Hz). I'd like to spend NO MORE than $150 on the driver (shipped). What about the Dayton Reference HF 10" for $105 + shipping? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input folks :)
I received the amp today. The spec sheet says it has 6db boost at 30Hz, if that makes a difference.
I can do 12", but I'd like the smallest box possible. CSS has plans on their site for a 16" sealed cube for their SD12. Something like that would be nice :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you going with the Dayton Reference HF 10?
That was my first choice, but I may go with a 12" from Dayton or someone else. What is set in stone is: Stryke amp and sealed box 2 ft. or under (preferably, MUCH under!). I want tight, very musical bass. I'm afraid of getting the 10 and wishing I had gotten the 12 later :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOW! This is alot to take in! I do apprecate it greatly though :)
Are you telling me, in theory, the Shiva-X in a 1 cu ft. sealed enclosure (minus the space taken up by the driver), with my amp, would produce a "flat" response, and the bass would be tight and "musical" (not boomy/ one-noted)?
THANKS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay, this has been so difficult! I have a Stryke Audio 350 watt plate amp (at 4 ohms) with a 6 db boost at 30 Hz. The amp will not be mounted in the box. I'm going with a 10", most likely the Dayton RSS265HF-4, since it has so many good reviews and is only $105. (If there is a "better" 10" out there for the same price, please let me know!) The maximum I want the exterior of my sealed box to be is 15" cubed (made from 3/4" MDF). I want tight/articulate/musical bass with as flat a frequency response as possible. I want it to sound as good at 80 Hz as it does at 30 Hz. I don't care about response below 30 Hz or high SPL's.
The question is, minus the space taken up by the driver, should I make the box smaller or leave it at 15" cubed in order to meet my goal?

Specs for the RSS265HF-4:
Power handling: 350 watts RMS/600 watts max * VCdia: 2-1/2" * Le: 1.05 mH * Impedance: 4 ohms * Re: 3.3 ohms * Frequency range: 22 - 1,000 Hz * Fs: 26 Hz * Magnet weight: 100 oz. * SPL: 87 dB 2.83 V/1m, 84 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 1.59 cu. ft. * Qms: 3.26 * Qes: .51 * Qts: .44 * Xmax: 12.3mm * Dimensions: A: 10-1/2", B: 9-1/4", C: 5".

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for all your help! Does the boost play any part in the size of the box? In other words, if the speaker is designed for 1 cu ft without boost, wouldn't the boost allow you to make the cabinet smaller with the same output from the speaker?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The boost affects the output and the frequency response. The box size stays the same to maintain a Q of 7.
Yellow - 1 cu.ft with 6 db of boost.
Green - 1 cu.ft. wiyh no boost.

Both models assume a subsonic filter at 18 hz, which could probably be verified by contacting A.E. Speakers. (formerly Stryke)

View attachment 12804

Wow! I was a little hesitant about the boost, but it looks like a requirement in this application! I'm going to get started on this, this week :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.