Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is personal choice, and I know I can easily try this out myself, but I figured I would ask opinions anyway. I have a 110" diag BOC tacked up to my wall. I am debating many DIY options, but I really want simple. I do have access to Do-Able, and it seams to be perfect for me. I am having a hard time going from 110" to 100". How many of you are doing a 100" screen from around this distance, and are perfectly happy.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm at 12Ft and have a 96" screen and think its great! I have no desire to make it larger even though I could go as big as 110".

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony,

I really wish I would never have put up a 110" image. Maybe I will put up the 100" image on the BOC and live with it for a while and see if I miss the 110"

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
At 12' 100" is more than an exceptable size, and if you have access to Do-Able... Consider yourself extremely lucky because that's one of the best DIY white screens available and when you factor in the cost, it is probably the best white screen option around be it DIY or commercial.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have 106'' at that distance and everyone that watches it thinks it's great with noone ever saying it was to much, Or too small.:yay:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I am currently viewing 86" at about 10 feet (I think?? I work in metric) I wish I had a larger screen but I think that is just because I always seem to want more, I don't think I need it. My projector will happily project a larger image but I seem to forget about screen size once I start watching a flic.

I would go with what gives you the best image in your room and try not to think about it after that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I started at about 12' from a 92" Graywolf, it was too small. I moved to a 110" DIY Silverscreen screen... not bad. When we moved I ended up with a 110" laminate screen. It did not give me what I wanted and so I got tired.... my wife got tired of me chasing what seemed to be a lost cause so I dropped $500 on a 119" Dalite HP screen and never looked back. Well, we bought a house a few months ago and I'm 11' from the screen, well, maybe closer to 10' if you measure eye to screen and I love it. I have gotten spoiled with HD DVD and Blu, SD is almost hard to watch now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow 119" from 10'. I dont' feel so crazy now for wanting to go up from 94" at 11'. What kind of projector do you have? 1080p? I got a HD1000 (720p).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely a personally preference. THX standards for a 1080p display say that the viewing angle should be less then 40%. Therefore if you take viewing distance and times is by .84 you will you have the recommended screen size.

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/display.html

So according to THX a 100" screen is perfect for a 10' viewing distance.

My current screen is actually a 118" 3x4 ratio, which leaves me with a 108" 16:9 HD viewing area. However i have a quite large room my my seating position is at 14' which means I should have a 140"... which I am upgrading to shortly as long as the Mits Hc5500 is able to produce a bright enough image on that size of screen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess we are crazy. Im at 126-134" at 10' and love it. Makes sure the screen is still a good size when viewing 2.40:1. Doesnt seem too big to my wife and I.... /shrug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts