Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
yeah, I am looking for HUGE efficient low and loud. 1 MX off 1 amp with the whole basment dedicated, if that could compare to 4 MXs vented...I have some fun ahead. For those of you following the DTS-10 on AVS, you know that this might be feasable. Not with the MX, thiele small is what it's all about along with the tapped...

·
Registered
511 Posts
yeah, I am looking for HUGE efficient low and loud. 1 MX off 1 amp with the whole basment dedicated, if that could compare to 4 MXs vented...I have some fun ahead. For those of you following the DTS-10 on AVS, you know that this might be feasable. Not with the MX, thiele small is what it's all about along with the tapped...
I was just reading up on some of those threads, and I think I agree with the thought of the cone shredding itself if you went with a 21" Horn. I have a pair of 10" in my folded horn, and it's got a sound that I can only describe as fast and smooth. I'd love to hear a large driver in a LARGE horn. I can't think of anything else that's as efficient as a horn.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'd have to guess a HUGE Xmax and a HUGE cone can be done, but simply requires a larger horn for it. I keep putting off hornresp...just not rady yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well if you're planning on using the M-21. and space is no option right now. just for testing to see what you want.
From my understanding is, you have a basement. Now if you want to go with a single driver, Go with one in a 800L (28.25cf) ported box tuned to 15hz, that yields an F3 of 13.8hz. you don't start running out of Xmax until [email protected] 1,500watts. Just modeling it you'll be able to do a 120dB flat down to 15hz. now throw some room gain.. and you're looking at some damage to the house. Now the reason for building it inthe basement is to port it up into the living room. a 16"x72" port is needed for this tuning. NOT a big problem with a box of this size :p

I recommend starting with just one of these drivers and the EP2500. And see what you think from there. now if that's not enough for you, Build a second sub.

OR you could always go IB. buy four of the M-21's and go from there. Look in the IB project photo's for a better idea of the driver layout.

Personally I think subs like this should instantly VOID any and all house insurance :nono:

·
Registered
511 Posts
IB was my runner up to Horn. It would take so much less power with that much airspace. I like the concept of 4 21" in an IB.

So are you getting good ideas from us Ryan?

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well I came out swingin wanting to prove to everyone that I never let space get me down...then a few things popped up right away to shut me up. So I'm just gonna wait till the papers are signed and I'm actually in with a tape before I speculate any more.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
511 Posts
So what's your latest daydream? You got the house, right? I thought I saw you said something about fuses...I thought I was bad with 25 year old breakers in a 60amp box! LOL

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So what's your latest daydream? You got the house, right? I thought I saw you said something about fuses...I thought I was bad with 25 year old breakers in a 60amp box! LOL
hey man, my tastes differ too much from too many forum members. hit me up on MSN Live [email protected] or realmofexcursion.com

BTW, waiting on those final 21" vids/pics!

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
was lookin at breakers, wire, and breaker box at Ace while getting new locks and deadbotls. FYI my house is VERY modest, but it is good enough for me. Lookin downstairs, I don't see any locations to IB manifold 22" IB3s, but now I think I can fit dual 128 cube enclosures. Takin pics now. Please keep in mind, this is a poor boy's home... and all I care about is the stereo itself.

I'll be going to take the test so that I can wire my home and have it inspected. Anyone point me in the right direction?

alright, I JUST moved in last night and had Xmas today so things are rough, sides this is an old house anyway that I got for less than 1/2 it's appraisal on a forclosure.

looking at the schematic, this pic was taken standing in the upper right corner facing the center divider at the bottom... looking at the dividing wall and opening to the other 1/2. Location of Sub # 2

I forgot to put the doorway to the other bedroom at the top right
standing in the doorway to bedroom #2 looking to the bottom. Sub #2 location on the right.

standing at the bottom right corner facing the top, the door I forgot to put in the sketch

same spot looking more left at the dividing wall and entry to the other 1/2. Sub #2 loc on left.

standing in the middle, entryway, looking to top left corner, location of sub #1

entry way looking to bottom left corner

standing in Sub #1 location at upper left, looking through entry way

FUSE BOX! :( Going to install my own breaker if youre willing to help!

wires above box

only possible location for manifold should I go IB3 22's, and I'd want 2 locations anway for dual manifolds to smooth FR

i'd have to take out the old wires going through here and cut between the joists

the "shelf" may help support the manifold

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well I was considering only getting 1 EP2500 to run both 21's/22's since even 1 is more power than I need for both but:

The full 3000 watts these beasts love will bring one of them to 39mm at tuning...and yes, I will play and BURRRP for fun. Wait, thats 50-80Hz. Fluff. LOL.

2 EP2500's it is. More headroom, easier on everything. More on tap for fun!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts