Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only ever purchased cheap Polk speakers before (Monitor 70's) and have only done research on cheap speakers. My brother just recently got a job and wants to throw 1000 on a 5.1 set up. Hes more into movies so towers with built in subs may be a better choice for the added bass. I budgeted about 300 for a sub so what could I get out of 700 bucks? Should I buy a 5 piece set? Should i pieced together a system from different providers?
Thanks for any help in advance.

I've just recently spotted the Jamo s606 speaker set; anyone have any experience or know about these speakers?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
I'll third the Andrew Jones speakers, but I would opt for an SVS PB1000 instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yup, at least get the $500 SVS sub. At least.

Then get the Pioneer 5.0 or NHT SuperZero x 5 for the other $500.

A well balance diet. :D

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I've only ever purchased cheap Polk speakers before (Monitor 70's) and have only done research on cheap speakers. My brother just recently got a job and wants to throw 1000 on a 5.1 set up. Hes more into movies so towers with built in subs may be a better choice for the added bass. I budgeted about 300 for a sub so what could I get out of 700 bucks? Should I buy a 5 piece set? Should i pieced together a system from different providers?
Thanks for any help in advance.
The Chase Home Theater M1 is going to be really tough to beat in this price category, it is extremely accurate and very efficient for a speaker it's size. Five units comes in at $625, leaving money on the table for stands or a better subwoofer.

Personally, I thought the M1 bested the Pioneer, although I auditioned the Pioneer at Best Buy and the M1 in my home.

I've just recently spotted the Jamo s606 speaker set; anyone have any experience or know about these speakers?
Not I, hopefully someone will chime in with some impressions.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've relayed all the info from here to my brother and we have come up with:

denon 1713
2 m-1's for the front
1 definitive technology pro center 1000
2 svs sbs-02 for rears
hsu stf-2 for the sub. comes in around 1000 for the speakers and 300 for the avr.He has a small room and i feel this will be more then sufficient for him being as it will be the first time hes owned his own home theater other then a HTIB from panasonic ha..

But anyway, is it a good idea to mis-match? Or should I just go with 6 m'1s?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added lower range in the front end. Also didn't know it was such a bad idea to mix the whole front end ha. 3 m-1s is cheaper anyway.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, makes sense aswell. I've also never heard of any centers having 'passive bass radiators' on the side? If that was the way to go I guess it would be more popular. Sounds like more things to break to me.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
what about 3-m1's 125.00 2 svs-sb02 149.00 and upgrade sub to VTF-1 MK2 which is music/movie flexible 429.00 = 953.00 ??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think thats what I'm going to go for. I doubt I get him to get the vtf-2 his wife is already complaining and the system hasnt even been ordered yet. Thank you to all who contributed.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Looks like you are shaping up a banging system for your brother, James.

But, maybe keep the speakers all the same? I'd just go all SVS SB02 or all Chase M1. Why split it up at the center OR the surrounds? :huh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts