Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking for a 1000, 1500 or 2000W (into 4 Ohms) plate amp for some projects I am musing over. If you want 500W it seems there is plenty of choice but get to a 1000W I can only find Dayton and they seem quite limited connectivity wise. I also have no idea of the quality either...

Maybe I am just not looking in the right places, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam :)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Ive never seen a plate amp over 1000 watts, and like you say they're almost all 500. What is it you want them for, wont the pro amps do. If you looking for better power, Face Audio get mentioned on here from time to time but they dont do plates.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want an plate amp for my current PP AV15-X sub, or rather its next generation and 1000W won't cut the mustard. Pro amps are too noisy even with a fan upgrade and take up space I don't have (currently it sits on top of my sub). I just want a tidy solution, an active sub rather than the passive one I currently have.

Adam

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I think your only solution will be to add in a LTC, you wont need the same power then. In fact, depending on its design even 500 watts could be too much.

Other than that, I think if you want 2k watts your going to need a couple plate amps, which will get complicated.

<EDIT>

Your a PC man, why couldnt you mod the pro amp with some nice silent water cooling?

·
Registered
333 Posts
ED sells a 1300 watt plate amp, but its not cheap.
And it probably wouldn't be worth buying if it was ;)

To the OP, the Yamaha pro amps use variable speed fans and IIRC shut them off completely at low temps. The P series is cheap for pro amps, but not cheap like, say, a Behringer would be in both price and quality.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the ED LT1300 plate amp powering a AV15X sub and simply is great. It produces the advertised power and is convenient to use. When I bought it, it was $350 and now it's around $450. For the money, it's probably the best plate amp out there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Or you could buy cheap 2x 500 or 2x1000watts plate amps and manage somehow to invert the one output and connect the sub between one non-inverted and one inverted output - thus the power is 4 times higher :whistling: as with one amp. The so called bridge mode P=U^2/R. But be careful that power may be too high for your sub.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for a 1000, 1500 or 2000W (into 4 Ohms) plate amp for some projects I am musing over. If you want 500W it seems there is plenty of choice but get to a 1000W I can only find Dayton and they seem quite limited connectivity wise. I also have no idea of the quality either...

Maybe I am just not looking in the right places, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam :)
I want a truck that actually gets 30 miles to the gallon, but as with plate amps what you ask isn't economically feasible for plate amp makers.

Your best option is the Yamaha Pro Amp P7000. It is very solid and can take a lot of power it also remains very quiet.

Just remember that you need a 2000w amp to truly upgrade from a 1000w one.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Or you could buy cheap 2x 500 or 2x1000watts plate amps and manage somehow to invert the one output and connect the sub between one non-inverted and one inverted output - thus the power is 4 times higher :whistling: as with one amp. The so called bridge mode P=U^2/R. But be careful that power may be too high for your sub.
say what?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, what is actually the bridge mode for an amplifier? (In a stereo amp like Behringer EP2500 there are in fact 2 mono amps, right?) That is when the output signal is delivered from 2 amplifiers. The signal from one of them is shifted or inverted by 180°. The sub is hooked up then to the both amps, no ground cable here. I have done it several times with my DIY power amp, have it measured by an oscilloscope and the voltage across the sub is 2 times higher than with one amp and that automatically means 4 times more power to it ( because Power=(Voltage)^2 / R ) !

The signal for just one amp needs to be inverted you hook up the speaker/subwoofer between the two outputs (the +lead goes to the non-inverted output and the -lead of the subwoofer goes to the inverted amp accordingly) and you get 4 times more power.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Has anyone thought of what you gain from doubling the power input?

The answer is 3 db more from 500 to 1000 watts. Another 6 db referenced to 500 watts if you jump to 2000 watts. The realization that 3 db is barely noticeable should hit you smack in the forehead.

The cheaper route is adding drivers and keeping the power constant. Each additional driver adds 3 db acoustically and possibly 3 more db for lower impedance to the amp terminals if you can drive the lower impedance. That's 6 db more. Yes you need a bigger box. But you get lower distortion and better power handling and the equivalent of a 2000 watt amp for carefull driver and box choice.

go horn loaded if you really want to blow peoples minds. A well done horn will lift the efficiency of a driver by almost 10 db. That is a 12 fold increase in the efficiency!

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts