Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the upgrade itch and I got it bad...

I currently have SVS MTS-01's for my LCR with some cheapo polks for surrounds. Everything is powered by Emotiva amps. The LCR each have XPA-100's on them. I have two XPA-5's for surrounds and future atmos speakers. I have pieced this together over the years and have recently gotten a nice budget to upgrade.

So, right now I'm looking for enough speakers to fill out a 7.0 setup (I have the subs taken care of already, no concern about the low end). I would like to stick around $10k for the 7.0 speakers, if I needed to upgrade my XPA-100's to say the XPA-1's for the LCR, I could swing that, if the speakers needed/justified it.

It will be used for 95% movies in a dedicated 18x25 space, which will be acoustically treated in the near future.

Honestly, I could be talked into more, with very little effort, but would like to try to stay around $10k.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,324 Posts
Could the MTS-01 be the old SVS speakers? You don't specify but IIRC those were a model offered by SVS. Either way...

Since you have a rather health budget to work with, what about some custom speakers from the renown Funk Audio? Nathan Funk is able to create pretty much anything you can image - and with a level of craftsmanship few are able to match - so it might be worth exploring something along those lines. His website only hints as what he can do, so if you have something particular in mind you should give him a call.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With that kind of budget, Martin Logan would be worth looking at:

L/R - Motion 60XT
Centre - 50XT
Surround - 35XT

That would leave some change to put towards the Atmos speakers. 4 wall mounted Motion 2s or 4s wouldn't push you too far over your original budget.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search. Sorry, if this is a blatantly stupid question, but I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost, mainly to myself.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I have the upgrade itch and I got it bad... I currently have SVS MTS-01's for my LCR with some cheapo polks for surrounds. Everything is powered by Emotiva amps. The LCR each have XPA-100's on them. I have two XPA-5's for surrounds and future atmos speakers. I have pieced this together over the years and have recently gotten a nice budget to upgrade. So, right now I'm looking for enough speakers to fill out a 7.0 setup (I have the subs taken care of already, no concern about the low end). I would like to stick around $10k for the 7.0 speakers, if I needed to upgrade my XPA-100's to say the XPA-1's for the LCR, I could swing that, if the speakers needed/justified it. It will be used for 95% movies in a dedicated 18x25 space, which will be acoustically treated in the near future. Honestly, I could be talked into more, with very little effort, but would like to try to stay around $10k.
I know you said you didn't need subs but they are free in this deal so you could flip them or gift them to needy friends / relatives...... http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=9020&sc=27
You would still have lots of cash for other toys.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Ok, not trying to completely shift the OP, but if I could drum up the cash, would getting B&W 803's for LCR, and 805's for surrounds be an enormous difference between a set of 10-15K speakers? That would run me aroun $37k, just with a quick price search. Sorry, if this is a blatantly stupid question, but I'm trying to decide if I can justify the cost, mainly to myself.
Ok, just for the record I love B&W 800 series speakers.
Are they worth the money?
Well if you have plenty of money I would say yes, but if there are other needs / desires that will be affected by dropping that kind of coin on speakers then I would have to really think hard and long about where / how to disperse the resources.
The speakers I linked to in the post above are very good home theater speakers and they are dirt cheap when you are talking about spending $15k or $37k.
But if the prestige of owning speakers like B&W or Sonus Faber is meaningful the Klipsch speakers are not going to fill that part of the deal.
In the end you really have to go out and listen to the speakers to decide if the difference in sound is worth it to you.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
With that kind of budget, Martin Logan would be worth looking at: L/R - Motion 60XT Centre - 50XT Surround - 35XT That would leave some change to put towards the Atmos speakers. 4 wall mounted Motion 2s or 4s wouldn't push you too far over your original budget.
I like this recommendation too.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I appreciate the input! Honestly, I could swing the B&Ws, I'm going to find a local dealer and just go listen.
Yes go listen.
All of the 800 series speakers are very nice.
I am not trying to talk you out of the B&W's but listening to some nice towers in the $3k - $4k / pr range is probably prudent.
The RF-7's should be easy to find, Studio 100's are worth a listen but Paradigm is sometimes hard to find, and Martin Logan makes some nice speakers that should be widely available.
Tannoy, Sonus Faber, Dali, Vienna Acoustics all have some very nice speakers too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local dealer has Tannoy and B&W. Going to head over there this week for a nice long listen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out the Salk speakers also. I would love to have the Soundscape 8's for my main speakers. Of all the speakers I have seen lately those, and the new Paradigm speakers catch my attention the most.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
too much to spend... overload city.

can't help.

go triton 1s

the end.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own the Goldenear Triton 1s and they are fantastic speakers. I originally had the Triton 2s and I loved them and the only reason I sold them be sure the 1s came out. The 1s are fantastic speakers that I highly recommend. I'm a fan of Paradigm as well. Just my two cents

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I went to audition some Triton 1's today at my nearest dealer, one hour away. Found out when I got there they are appointment only! Doh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts