Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, before i go and reinvent the wheel a couple of questions before i start building. Is the LLT approach ok using a passive radiator? Any sugestions on the ultimate 12" sub driver will also be appreciated. thanx:duh:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've just completed a LLT using the TC Sounds lms 4000 12" sub. It sounds absolutely great, better than a comparable 15 or 18? doubtful, but a fantastic sub none the less and probably equivalent to many 15s as the lms 4000 has huge xmax and is incredibly linear. I don't see any reason why a PR wouldn't work rather than a port, there are probably advantages there as an 18 PR could do the duy of a fairly significant port for a 12" sub, allowing for that low tune in a box without dealing with port resonance issues associated with really long ports (which a 12 would likely require in order to tune low) The one disadvantage of using a 12 instead of a 15 is obviously SPL. As far as great 12" subs goes, i love the lms 4000 but unless you can find one through ebay or something that's likely not an option. the audiopulse lms drivers also have a great reputation but it's really going to depend on your budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cost is no object. SPL is not the issue, i will run two in an average room. Size is an issue. I was hoping the best 12 available with a 15 or 18 pr would be a good thing. Mostly i play music, and use an open baffle system for 50hz and up. What i need is solid musical bass from 20-50hz.
Thanx

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Could you define a size limit to go with your goal of very musical bass with good extension 20-50hz? It will help out. You are looking for 12's to be run with PR's but it may be a better option to go with a very nice sealed 15 or even 18 instead in the same amount of space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My goals are accurate bass 20 - 50 hz. Size- I was thinking 350 x 600 x 1200 so about 200-250 litres. I like sealed bass but have trouble getting extension without paying for huge amps. So i guess efficiency is important. I am open to any suggestions. Thanx

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
What amp did you have in mind? I don't know what you guys have available down there. Your dimensions indicate that maybe you have a certain shape or spot in mind? Actually that's why I was thinking maybe you should look at a bigger driver was because of efficiency. 200-250l is actually a decent amount to work with. That's enough volume to port a 15 or maybe even PR an 18 let alone a 12". You could also easily run a sealed 18, or maybe even 2 15's in 200L. Any of these are going to way outclass the 12" option. I thought you were going to say that you only had about 80-100L to work with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually i wanted to do a contrabass clone, sort of. The contrabass box is not much bigger than the 15" and the 18" pr. At present i run 2 x sealed 10" and have enough spl. I think a pair of twin 15s will be overkill! As for amps i guess most folk are running pro amps to get the sort watts i read about here, i think most are available in Aust.The fs of 15" will be an advantage. I figured what i read regarding LLT made sense so that is why i started down that path.
Thanx

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Were you going to do both of the 12's (with the PR's) in one enclosure (200-250L) , or in 2 seperate enclosures that are each 200L-250L? Overkill is good. It means distortion will be low and you will have extra headroom.

If you still like the 12" idea the Peerless XLS drivers and PR's are supposed to have very good SQ. I don't know if you can get those there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will build two{stereo} boxes.Hopefully not much bigger than 200 litres each.
So i guess i just need to decide what is best for my use. Can a single 15 fit the bill of 20hz without the issues that sealed boxes present, or will a 12" plus pr tuned low be best? Thanx for your replies,it has made me think and do more homework.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, have read the last question again!!!! No i think 1 12" and pr per box. Is it correct that using 2 drivers will double box size? :coocoo:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you double the drivers you have to double the enclosure size to keep the same response, etc. Let's recap. You are thinking 2 enclosures of no bigger than 200L each? Are there any dimensional restrictions on the enclosures? What is your max budget? You have a lot of options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i am getting lost now, the options are endless!!! So my requirement, 20-50 hz accurate and musical. I am thinking about 50 x 70 x 100 cm internal, i think that is 350 litres but it seems small for that volume. After looking at the Audiopulse 15" it seems i could get a good result from a small sealed box and truckloads of power. With just a little more homework i may be ready to download a program and start moddeling but the learning curve may take longer than building these subs! Thankx for your guidance.
Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts