Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I'm looking to build either a 12" or 15" sealed box to use with ATC SCM20s - studio monitoring! This leads me (I believe) to the following requirements:

1. Low group delay & THD
  2. Good extension (I'm not looking to rattle eyeballs though)
  3. No need for particularly high SPLs, although ideally a driver which is quite hardy to the odd over-excursion (or a limiter?) I will just build a second sub if I want more SPL!
  4. Can't be too big!
  5. An amp-plate with continuously variable phase and crossover adjustment, as well as XLR inputs
I'm willing to fork-out to buy as good-a driver as would get the job done!

I've had a little scavenge around on this forum (which seems like an excellent resource!) and was hoping somebody with some experience in building subs could help me out?

To start off with, some driver recommendations would be good? I've had a play with WinISD and feel like I'm shooting in the dark without knowing which drivers would be good as a starting point!

Thanks all!
Alex

·
1,669 Posts
Hi Alex, welcome.
You forgot one critical thing: Budget.
If not limited to <$600 for amp/driver, my first thought given your parameters/constraints including "size", forget the 15...and go with a Rythmik servo 12 and opt for the XLR amp. 14hz extension from a 2 cu ft box, plenty output, phase adjustment and even better, one band of parametric EQ.

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems pretty reasonable! Thanks for the suggestion. Looks as though it should be capable of around 105dB output right? That'll easily be enough I think!

Any other suggestions? I'm wondering about the ATC drivers too...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Alex, are you AlexK on atcforums.co.uk?

I have powered ATC SCM 20-2A that I've paired with Acoustic Elegance AV15 (2), driven by a QSC RMX2450 and equalized with a minidsp crossover. It's fantastic in my opinion. And, my friends who had the prejudice that two 15" drivers would be overkill are now hunting down 15" drivers, too.

ATCs are very dynamic, as you know, so getting a lot of headroom is a good idea, which means lots of power and a driver that can take it. Acoustic Elegance pointed to the BL measurement as their indicator, as I recall, of the ability to take lots of power. You should probably suss that out for yourself. Unfortunately the AV15 is no longer made, but here's a thread that might prove useful if you're interested in Acoustic Elegance drivers:

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3499

I can agree that for music 12" drivers are probably fine, I'm glad I took the leap to 15" drivers, mostly for movies. If you mix electronica, you might want the larger drivers.

Personally, I think you might need to discount some of the handwringing you read on the internet about getting a sub to match or it sounding "slow." Just my $0.02.

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts