Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a sub to be used for sound quality. I have a Crown CDi1000 that I'll power the sub with (about 1kW into 4 Ohms). I'd like to keep the cost of the driver at or around $300.00 USD. I've seen quite a few people using the Infinity Kappa subs, but I'm not sure how well they do in a sealed cab. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I'm not sure if other people will share my sentiment. Since you're thinking about Infinity Kappas and you've got 1000W to play with, why not consider a 12" Alpine Type-X? They do great in smallish boxes and do well sealed. I think they are 4ohm DVC though, not sure if your crown would do 2ohms or not. You can find the twelves for $250 or so, maybe a little more.

Not long ago I was messing with a 10" type-x in WinISD since a friend is interested in one for his car, it was looking pretty impressive from what I remember...

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I'm a fan of the AE AV12's, they work in a very small enclosure and can take 1kw. I use the 15s which use the same motor, and they are quite frankly fantastic.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I doubt I'll put that 1kW into the sub, but it would be available. I really wasn't considering mobile subs until i read so much on the Kappas. However, when I did some mobile audio installations in my own vehicle, both JL Audio and Image Dynamics were subs that I used. Are they still considered good quality, even for sound quality in the home?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Mike. I was hoping to keep size down and use a 12. I checked their website, and it doesn't appear that they make a 12" in the SDX line. Does anyone know otherwise?

Also, Moonfly, have you heard any of the other AE drivers? The dipole series looks interesting. The pdfs aren't available at this time, but I was wondering what their le numbers look like.

I'm thinking that all drivers are going to be compared with the Seas L26ROY, since it's a beast for a 10" driver. This little guy can play down to 20Hz in a sealed 0.6 sealed box... Does anyone have experience with this driver, and how it might compare to some of these in this thread?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.