Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There’s a thread around here detailing how I came to build this particular sub. I got lot’s of help from MikeP and from reading the threads.

I have size constraints and this box (2.77 ft.) is the largest that will fit where it has to go. The $300 budget explains most of the rest. The mix is 50/50 HT/music. I wanted something that was not straining to play at 75dB with room for a 30 dB pop from special effects.

It was going to be a 20Hz tune until I noticed a discrepancy in the T/S numbers between Dayton and PE. Now, it's closer to 22Hz.

Dayton Spec PE Spec

Le: 3.17 Hz 2.5
Fs: 22.2 Hz 25
Vas: 2.61 cu. ft. 2.27
Qms: 6.12 7.03

PE checked it out and said their specs are correct. Apparently Dayton has not updated in some time. A friend is building the box and all the parts were cut to size based on Dayton specs. I had to just live with the result.

I managed to have the port length adjusted, but not the area. It could get chuffy at high SPLs and low Hz. I don’t think it will make much difference in normal use.

The photo should explain the box construction. I’m using a folded, square port and a Dayton 240W plate amp.

Box Parts.jpg

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The port is just a square made out of MDF. It has a common wall with the left side and bottom of the box. It makes a 90* turn upward about 3" from the rear of the box and uses the left side of the box as a common wall.

The ends will be "flared" slightly with a round over bit. Surprisingly, it didn't affect volume much compared to a round port with a 90*.

If there was enough room to use a round port with nice flares, I would have done so. This seems to be a decent solution compared to increasing box size. Here is a sketch of the 4 pieces necessary to make the port. Ignore the dimensions as they are not accurate.

Port.jpg

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen pictures where those techniques were used. I just rounded over each end. For this design and intended use, it didn't seem necessary. When producing 105dB, airspeed is only about 17 m/sec.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No rounding yet. Will do as much of each end of the port as possible.

Just want to restate that I am not doing this work. A friend is doing it for me. I use first person descriptions cuz it's easier.

·
Registered
88 Posts
George, the blocks in the port kind of defeat its purpose. :whistling: :rofl:

Jokes aside, your friend is doing a great job!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The blocks are optional plugs for sealed box use. They are easily removable with a 4" hole cutter on a 12" extension.:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gluing it up. The right side is not glued - just being clamped in position to keep things square. The right side will be removed and the braces installed when the glue dries.

Glue.jpg

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No filling for me! My friend is doing it. Seems like the longer I leave it, the more he does. Maybe I'll get a nice paint job if I wait long enough. :jump:

I discovered 2 things about the bracing. There is a lot more of it than I realized from making the sketches. The difference between all of that bracing and no bracing at all results in less than 1Hz increase in tuning.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got the box!! The UPS monkey tried his best to damage it, but was defeated by superior packaging. I'll have to do some minor filling and sanding.

I installed the H-nuts with a dab of glue and used the woofer and mounting bolts to clamps it and keep the nuts square to the bolts while drying.

Here is a pic of the glue drying. Also one of a cheap PE 15" grill I'm thinking about using.

Woofer Fit.JPG

Grill.JPG

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost! The weather is too good for painting to mess around. Temp 72, humidity 50%, hardly any wind. I put the foam in this morning and should have the primer finished today. May have the paint finished tomorrow. Then I'll test.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been there, done that. I am gaining ground on the WAF thing and don't want to give up any attaboys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The sub and enclosure look great! It actually looks too good for that grill.:bigsmile: IMO, that grill looks out of place on such well-crafted project.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts