Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I scrapped the last heat sinks because they are in-adequate. One must use a wide extrusion type heat sink if not using any forced air cooling (otherwise known as forced convection cooling) New to me and maybe new to you. ? .

Here is the modified material list-

Couple notes-

On the heat sink side you will need to grind the lip of the lid down so it sits flush with the box. This is important otherwise the heat sink won't sit flat.

For better looks - Paint the box, lid and actual box, with a flat black primer. Couple coats. Let dry to a touch then bake in the oven at 375* for 30 minutes or less. Makes the paint stick like glue. Of course you must clean the box with a cleaner (alcohol, acetone, etc) before painting.

After cutting the heat sink and SSR hole to length with a hacksaw file the edges. You're dealing with electrical so sharp edges aren't what you want.

Use Arctic Silver to attach the heat sink to the relay, without a doubt. Use the same compound to attach the heat sink (and now relay) to the electrical box.

Use rubbing alcohol to clean all surfaces before bonding anything.

Use clamps to keep pressure on the mating surfaces. With a SSR you want to get the best bond and in turn the best cooling. With the new heat sinks these things are dialed.

Any other questions please post them in this thread. I have had a couple PMs of people asking me to build these for them. After thinking about it I decided I'd rather not. Ask your questions in the post, or maybe someone else will build one for you.

You'll need to cut the heat sink down to size

image-1049630282.jpg

image-807588661.jpg

Then use a jig saw and cut out a hole in the side of the box. There's three punch outs, I removed all and cut out what was left.

image-3924464753.jpg

See the two small holes on the top? Enlarge the one farthest from the heat sink side of the box. This is important. Don't use the other hole.

image-1480178617.jpg

Get a grinder. Put the top lid on the box. You will see a lip. Grind the lip so it's flush with the box, so your heat sink will sit flat.

image-1011928793.jpg

image-4197703387.jpg

image-538184876.jpg

Test fit. File all the edges you cut. I chose to paint the box black, then baked it @ 375* for a little bit. Made the paint stick real good.

image-70019432.jpg

Important. Your relays will be offset on the heat sink. Grab some white chalk, put heat sink on box, make your mark, then glue with the thermal epoxy.

image-2091688776.jpg

Put heat sink on box and attach it with some more thermal epoxy. It doesn't take much. Clamp, let dry.

image-1178794028.jpg

image-1004343844.jpg

Wire in the 3.5 mm jack and the rest of the wires.

image-2592773320.jpg

Screw the lid on and enjoy. I also removed the punch outs on both sides of the relay. My boxes are hidden. If you have small kids etc, it would be a good idea to get some screen material and attach it. Or don't punch out the holes, but I like having the extra air / heat escape.

image-1210771549.jpg

image-944089431.jpg

image-1023724331.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
How much did this all cost?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did this all cost?

Well, the relays and heat sinks are the most. 53.00 just for those (2 each so cut in half if only doing one box). I searched for a while and the heat sinks are a pretty good deal, as are the relays.

A company called power i/o has some nice options but at a higher cost.

The rest are all under 10.00 items with the exception of the extension cord which will vary in cost depending on how much each person chooses to use.

For an exact amount all the prices are in the links I listed. All the links I listed are actual parts used.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Looks solid and should work well.
If your not into DIY there are a couple good options like the ethereal power centre for $70
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ower-manager-1000-8-outlet-2160-joules/1.html
Or this Niles Audio trigger, I've seen them sell for also around $70
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_d...stems&categoryID=Switching Systems&catcdID=10

I have two of the Eathereal power centres and use one of them to switch my main two channel amp on via trigger and it's always worked fine

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks solid and should work well.
If your not into DIY there are a couple good options like the ethereal power centre for $70
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ower-manager-1000-8-outlet-2160-joules/1.html
Or this Niles Audio trigger, I've seen them sell for also around $70
http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_d...stems&categoryID=Switching Systems&catcdID=10

I have two of the Eathereal power centres and use one of them to switch my main two channel amp on via trigger and it's always worked fine
Thanks.

I looked high and low for a ready-made solution, and there is none. Your items above are great if you only need 15 amps, but if you need more they aren't rated for it.

Also, the Niles unit had some bad reviews.

Playing off your recommendations above one could also use a smart power strip. Again, limited to 15 amps.

I have two dedicated 20 amp lines, one for each amp- 15Kw total. So I needed 20 amp solutions.

I JUST added a second line using a MWBC and I really should have gone 10/3 30 amp service since I can blow the 20 amp fuses if being pushed hard.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Oh that's a lot of current draw, I can see the use for something like you made for that.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Can you add some pictures, I didnt quite understand what you were doing? :rolleyes:

Nice build. :T I luckily dont have to do one of these builds yet. I will have some amps in the future that may need a 20amp relay but not yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I looked high and low for a ready-made solution, and there is none. Your items above are great if you only need 15 amps, but if you need more they aren't rated for it.

Also, the Niles unit had some bad reviews.

Playing off your recommendations above one could also use a smart power strip. Again, limited to 15 amps.

I have two dedicated 20 amp lines, one for each amp- 15Kw total. So I needed 20 amp solutions.

I JUST added a second line using a MWBC and I really should have gone 10/3 30 amp service since I can blow the 20 amp fuses if being pushed hard.
AWESOME ingenuity and writeup! Thanks for sharing :clap:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you add some pictures, I didnt quite understand what you were doing? :rolleyes:

Nice build. :T I luckily dont have to do one of these builds yet. I will have some amps in the future that may need a 20amp relay but not yet.
I will sort through the pictures and delete doubles. If I'm really bored I will try to turn them right side up. :)

AWESOME ingenuity and writeup! Thanks for sharing :clap:
Thank you. Again - all the credit goes to a guy with a screen name of notnyt, from another forum.

I just made it better. :D Well, what I think is better. How about what works for me better?!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I have seen his build of this also. I just figured I would thank you for doing one as well. Most here dont know Not with the exception of the DIY folks that are on multiple forums such as myself , cowboy and yourself.

Dont worry about the pics. I never really realized they were upside down or sideways because they were closeup shots.

Is this for your 7500's?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen his build of this also. I just figured I would thank you for doing one as well. Most here dont know Not with the exception of the DIY folks that are on multiple forums such as myself , cowboy and yourself. Dont worry about the pics. I never really realized they were upside down or sideways because they were closeup shots. Is this for your 7500's?
I thought you were nicely trying to tell me clean up my pics; make my post more understandable.

Yep.... For two Peavey IPR 7500s.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
LOL....not at all. I was being a smart guy and mess'n with ya. :D

Sorry if it did not come off that way.:duh:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL....not at all. I was being a smart guy and mess'n with ya. :D

Sorry if it did not come off that way.:duh:

No worries- the roll eyes threw my for a loop. Maybe it's because I felt I was being lazy when I posted. :)

In any event- updated nice and neat just for you. :rofl2:

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Wow thoughts of the movie Pinhead come to mind.

BUT They should have plenty of room to stay cool. :T Maybe also scare away the heat.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Someone needs to make pictures easier to insert into instructional threads here. This is early 2005 type functionality and it makes it real hard to convey what's happening step by step.

Real hard......

I'd love to do a step by step sealed build here, but if it's this 'flinstone' like I don't know how I'll do it so others can understand.

If I'm completely missing something please let me know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts