Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found my ideal spot at about 14' from a 140" screen (16:9). Just about fills my FOV completely but I do not have to turn my head to follow the action on screen.

Adding to that discussion, whatever position you choose to plant your base on :), you might want to leave a few feet of space behind you.... you know... to place your speakers for that ideal 7.1 sound... :)

- Ravi

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh I have plenty of space behind me from any sitting distance I choose. I just wasn't sure what would be too close since I've never owned a projector before. But thank you for your input, I'm thinking somewhere in the 14-16ft range will be nice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go for it 135 is not too big. I go to the local hi fi store and the 106 looks so small. Every time I see it I think of how glad I didn't go any smaller than the 135 I have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The thing is. It will look huge for about a week or two. And then it just seems normal for the most part. You won't regret going big. Go for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the input everyone, I believe I will go as large as I can but I'm having a tough time determining exactly what that should be since I'm new to projection and throws and whatnot. I'm going to make an AT screen though so I can go really big and hide the center speaker.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The thing is. It will look huge for about a week or two. And then it just seems normal for the most part. You won't regret going big. Go for it.
I have a 106", and when I say it's small, people are surprised. I'm looking to go 135" myself, but will probably go with a 120". Just due to the size of the room, sitting distance (14') and speaker locations. I'd have ~14" on each side of the screen for speakers, and 27" below the screen for center channel placement.

I usually go as big as I can, but 135" is about the absolute maximum I can go in this room, and it'd take a few adjustments. I'd love to go 135", but I keep talking myself out of it....

So, with my projector (replacing the Panasonic AE3000-U with a Optoma HD131Xe this week due to power surge), 120" won't be bad. When I upgrade to UHD, I'll upgrade screen size.

If you have the space, and can work the speakers around (or AT screen), then I'd go 135". But, like others have mentioned - where do you sit at the theater? In the back? Then, sitting 12' away from a 135" screen might be too much. If you sit towards the middle or front, it might be perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
I have a 106", and when I say it's small, people are surprised. I'm looking to go 135" myself, but will probably go with a 120". Just due to the size of the room, sitting distance (14') and speaker locations. I'd have ~14" on each side of the screen for speakers, and 27" below the screen for center channel placement.

I usually go as big as I can, but 135" is about the absolute maximum I can go in this room, and it'd take a few adjustments. I'd love to go 135", but I keep talking myself out of it....

So, with my projector (replacing the Panasonic AE3000-U with a Optoma HD131Xe this week due to power surge), 120" won't be bad. When I upgrade to UHD, I'll upgrade screen size.

If you have the space, and can work the speakers around (or AT screen), then I'd go 135". But, like others have mentioned - where do you sit at the theater? In the back? Then, sitting 12' away from a 135" screen might be too much. If you sit towards the middle or front, it might be perfect.
134" screen here with seating 14' away... I still want bigger. :T

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone, I believe I will go as large as I can but I'm having a tough time determining exactly what that should be since I'm new to projection and throws and whatnot. I'm going to make an AT screen though so I can go really big and hide the center speaker.
If you are going with a AT screen... Why not make the screen the whole wall? If you do it this way you can mount your projector, and then make the picture whatever size you feel comfortable with. We are going with a Seymour AT screen that is 14' wide, which will leave me with just enough room on one side to have our rack (which will be behind black acoustic material). Once we setup the projector we will see what size we feel comfortable with and then mask to it. If down the road we get a better projector that we can go bigger with and enjoy the picture we don't have to buy another screen. I kick myself for not going with the screen wall the first time. :T

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ellis, that's exactly what I've done. Been a little while since I've been on my own thread ha but I ended up going with a 158" that takes up the entire wall. Well, floor to ceiling and about 16" on each side since I only have 7 foot ceilings. Ordered a piece of screen from Falcon that measures 140x80. Framing of the theater is complete, working on the wiring now but here are a couple shots I took just shooting the pj onto the concrete wall. Can't wait to finish it! Electrical should be done soon.

ForumRunner_20140526_201037.png

ForumRunner_20140526_201100.png

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Ellis, that's exactly what I've done. Been a little while since I've been on my own thread ha but I ended up going with a 158" that takes up the entire wall. Well, floor to ceiling and about 16" on each side since I only have 7 foot ceilings. Ordered a piece of screen from Falcon that measures 140x80. Framing of the theater is complete, working on the wiring now but here are a couple shots I took just shooting the pj onto the concrete wall. Can't wait to finish it! Electrical should be done soon.

View attachment 53786

View attachment 53794
Do you have a build thread? I would love to see how it is coming along. What projector are you using? :T

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've been debating when to start a build thread because I know once I start one I may spend too much time on the forums updating it so I am thinking I'm going to just make a complete one showing start to finish once I'm done. Goal is to be done before a golf trip for the fourth of July but might be tight.

I'm using an Epson 8350, my first projector and first dedicated theater build. Very excited. I have so many movies I haven't yet seen because I wanted to see them in a real cinema setting. I have a temp setup in my living room which has a 63" Samsung plasma with 2 emp tek e55Ti towers in Phantom mode along with 2 SVS PB-2000s.

But to show you the screen wall I've built I'll post a pic. Hopefully it doesn't come through sideways, kinda annoying. The frame is literally the wall frame so it's very solid. Thought about clamping the screen up temporarily to see what it looks like but I don't have enough clamps and wouldn't get anything done if the screen is up ha.

ForumRunner_20140526_225111.png

ForumRunner_20140526_225136.png

Need to take better pics with stuff out of the way. Ugh they're sideways again. Will have to try from my computer. The second shot is looking in behind the false wall from the doorway I've built. Allows very easy access to the soundstage.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Your goal date is the same as mine! I hope to have mine up by the beginning of July (I doubt if it will be tuned yet though).

I wouldn't worry about watching the movies now as when you get the HT done you will want to watch them all over again to experience the larger screen. :T I have watched my movies over and over, over the years... Sometimes just because I got a new piece of equipment.

BTW: What is the car in your avitar?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Cool, we have the same end date ha. It'll be great when it's finished and I can't wait to watch everything again.

That's my car in my avatar, 2013 Focus ST. Best car I've ever owned, very fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Edited. you are so lucky to go over 150". I am so jealous! The max image I could do is 135" so I have space for my front L & R speakers.
If you go AT screen you can go bigger. :T

·
Registered
18 Posts

View attachment 53786

View attachment 53794
Sweet... :smile:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts