Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all! Here's my story:
Been running a pair of sealed 13AV2 d4's in 2.3 cf boxes, powered by a Face Audio F700 (claimed 1100 watts/channel into 2 ohm) for about a year in my 2000 cubic foot theater. Response is flat down to about 15hz, where i have a high-pass filter running since these things bottom out fairly easily if run full range unchecked with that much power.
Problem is, even in my relatively small, sealed room there is not enough swept area to make much of an impact in the sub-sonic frequencies. I cannot hear or detect anything under 20hz or so, other than seeing the cones go crazy.
My possible solutions were to add another pair of sealed subs, or port the ones I have and forego the < 20hz response for greater impact above 20hz. I decided to go the latter, but instead of building new boxes with gigantic ports I figured I'd try to use the boxes I already have by added a passive radiator. Yes, they're a little on the small size for a 'ported' alignment, but not too bad actually. I purchased a couple of 15" pr's from DIYCable and installed one last night with about 600 grams added, and ran some SPL tests. With just one box modded so far, I've gained 3-4 db from 40hz down to about 22hz, where the reponse drops off as expected to an F3 of about 20hz.
I haven't had a chance to watch a movie yet, but I'll wait until both boxes are done. I'm pretty happy with results so far though!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, im glad to hear you figured it all out before giving any of us a chance to post! :p but aside from that, its very rare that this kind of conversion gets the results you did, congrats!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! Why would it be rare though?

I finished the second one this afternoon and adjusted the weights on them. Currently I'm getting about 9db (!) more output at 20hz than i was with sealed. Obviously I've given up the sub 20hz frequencies, but I think it will prove to be worth it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
most people aren't willing to use PR's to get the ported box and as you take space out the box for the port, you get less internal volume

1 - 4 of 4 Posts