Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
here are a couple pics I took from the first day of cutting. I did a quick dry fit also as you can see. I have now cut the double baffle for the 2 PR's and a double baffle for the driver itself. the cutouts I have only done for the w7 and have not done them yet for the PR's I will get to that part tonight and post some more pics at that time

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
here are a couple of the subs I did with PR's and a sealed enclosure with an acoustic elegance TD12H for music

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wow, beautiful subs. You're into your PR's arent you? :D

In the third pic; the sub closest to the laptop - do you have any information on that? It looks great.

Cuts also looking great for the 5.5. Yes, it's not a small enclosure!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
yes I can upload the build pics for that when I am home tonight. the sub is a custom sub from PSI based off their platform 2 series. the enclosure I believe was 1.94 cubic foot net tuned to 16hz. The veneer on it is walnut. I also have another sub not pictured that is sealed and has dual 12" subs which are also PSI custom subs but based off their platform 1 series. that enclosure is a beast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
here a couple pics of the dual sealed before finishing and a dry fit of the subs. I had these on my phone

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice. I myself have a 15" PSI frankenwoofer that I still need to build up. PSI soft parts, and a HiVi motor. Dimensions wise, it compares to the Platform 2.

What you actually see in my profile pic (to the left) is a 10" PSI frankenwoofer too. The day after I reconed it, it blew. Turns out my amp was sending it a bad signal. So Dave sent me a 15" recone + basket and I have yet to build it up! /OT

Your woodworking skills look great - nice bracing on the dual sealed PSI 12's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
the woodworking has taken some time. Ive learned patience and a few new tools really helped. Time to build the 15" up then. what are you waiting for Id like to see some pics when you get moving on it. Ideas on how you are going to go about it.? Sealed or ported?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
after I finish this current project I am thinking about stepping up in size to a 15". I was also thinking about a PSI as they are really nice subs and I have had good luck with them

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lol the biggest thing setting me back is the fact that the HiVi motor has a different mounting bolt pattern to the basket... so I have to actually drill new holes in the motor's top plate so I can bolt the basket on and drop in the recone. I'll figure out how I'm going to go about it... some time :sweat: It'll definitely be ported, for sure.

I also have another 15" I need to build up, a Dayton Titanic MKIII. I started a thread to get ideas for it here a year ago, and learned a lot. I know what I'm going to do, I just need to get the living room in order so it will accomodate this huge thing! (It will be big).

15's are nice. If you get a custom built Platform 1 or 2 with a single soft spider, It would rock. PSI is a great company - my experience has been great with them too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Was trying to posts some new pics but getting a couple errors as my files are to large so I will have to resize them a little later. I have though finished the assembly and glue up of the closure. So now I'm at the finishing stage. Thing is I have no idea how I want to finish it. Ive done both veneer and painting in the past. Funny thing is now I'm at a stand still till I figure this out. If I go the painting route it is a lot more work as I have the bondo which really isnt that bad. The problem lies in that I have to wrap the whole thing Fiberglass to make sure no seems come through. So it maybe veneer on this one

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is a roll on truck bed liner coating like used by many prosound and DIYers, with maybe a color coat, an option? It hides a lot of woodworking 'inconsistencies'.

GM

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think I'm going to go that route for the acoustic elegance sub I included the pic for to see how it looks. But that sub is now going into my sons bedroom for his music and games. My joints are all good and flush. If I veneer just need to bondo over the screw holes. Painting I need to bondo screw hole, seams then do the whole box in fiberglass and that really is a pain. I did that on the black sub I included pictures of and it took me a long long time finish as I had never worked with fiberglass. I can see why when you buy retail and the painted gloss finishes are much more money. I may be looking at some hoe of walnut veneer again and maybe make it look a little rustic as the room this is going in has a lot of reclaimed barnwood furniture. I came across this link from acoustic elegance on am English Yew veneer. It looks really nice here is the link
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...85313456865.-2207520000.1407031495.&source=54

Just not sure how much this will set me back

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hmm, then why not 'skin' it with old barn wood siding like I did for someone? I painted the cab a similar matte gray, then added the rough sawn boards with no attempt to getting tight seams.

GM

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have a ton of reclaimed bad food siding probably 6 or 7ton of it at at least as we took down massive old barn on my property this summer. I've given It a little thought. Bought a new planer and jointer because I've been working on a table and couple dressers and wardrobe with some of the wood and will be selling most of it. May be a good way to go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
GPM do you have any pics of te build with the barnwood siding. I'm interested in seeing what it looked like

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wish now I had since hindsight is 20-20, but my DIY building 'career' began in '56 and ended in '75 for the most part and since each was a custom, there was no need to take photos of them. Indeed, they were all literally just a bunch of numbers and sometimes a sketch to show what to expect, though most weren't picky since they normally did their own finishing with me sometimes helping with how to do it.

In all my sci-fi fantasies back then did I ever think I'd live long enough for Telstar/computer technology to advance enough for the world to communicate as it does.

I still have some of the siding, but no functioning camera or software to load on this old 2k XP Pro machine. I hope to join the 21st century before I die, but 'life' keeps sucking up all my disposable income. :(

GM

21 - 40 of 71 Posts