Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great looking sub - good work! I'm curious too, how does it sound?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Took me and my son to strap it to a hand truck to get into the house. Was a pain. Weighs in at just over 150lbs fully assembled. I just rewired some speakon cables as I am hooking it up to a Behringer 3000dsp to start out. So wiring +1 for positive and -1 for negative as it will run in stereo from one Channel. Had to switch the wiring as the cable was previously used in bridged mono. Need to clean out the dsp on the Behringer and run it flat with no eq'ing. Also going to turn off the audyssey on my denon x4000 and try to get some reading tonight. If not tonight I will get some tomorow. Also will compare against the other 2 subs in the previous picks as I am a little curious on the comparison. Albeit the other subs are. 12" with dual 12" PR's they d prefor really well. Only draw back is the wife bought some new couches and the placement I want for them is a little hard to get to. I will run the Behringer 3000dsp for all three subs. The JL and the other 2 subs I will run in bridged mono to generate the power needed for them as they are wired for 4ohm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Ok was starting to take some readings but I will have a delay posting them as I sat on my mic and have to order up a new one. Will do that a little later tonight. Initial impressions well I need a new amp. I'm running the 3000dsp in stereo 2ohm and at moderate levels for me ,compared to my other subs, I am able to get right at clipping. If I push it anymore it will clip so it is sucking up a lot of power. Not sure exactly what the 3000dsp actually is putting out but need to get more power to it. With my other subs I can push them really hard before I get to anywhere near clipping. I am able to get much more output from my other subs also. So right now I need to start looking at another amp. Let me know ideas. Was looking at QSC or Crown. Let me know your thoughts as I'd like to move quick on the amp. I'll take care of the mic and hopefully I can get it in by the end of the week. Is parts express still the best place for that if I'm running REW. So to sum up right now initial listening impression is that my other custom subs from PSI with the power from a 3000dsp and 6000dsp have much more output then the 13w7 with the same amp. Let me know thoughts on anther amp. Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
That doesn't sound right. You mentioned that the JL is hooked up to the 3000dsp via one channel from the stereo outputs, and not bridged mono? If that's the case, the JL is only seeing about 800w RMS from the inuke. The 3000dsp will do 600w/4ohm a channel, and 1000w/2ohm a channel. Since the JL is 3 ohm, it's seeing wattage somewhere in the middle (i.e, ~800w).

I would say you're experiencing less output and clipping because the JL isn't getting the power it needs - I think you're right when you said you need a new amp. I don't think the 3000dsp would like a 3 ohm bridged load. Your PSI subs are most likely out performing your JL because they simply have more power at their disposal. Once you get a soild amp, it should be the other way round :D

I'll take a look at a few amps and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
what I think I'm going to do tonight is run the 3000dsp in bridged mono 4ohm and hook up the JL that way I should get a few hundred more watts. Whats the worst case scenario? I overheat. I think this will give me a better idea of what the jl can handle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
so I sill bridge the 3000 dsp tonight. I feel confident if not constantly at high volume I should be fine with the heat. I will find out fast. I am looking at the QSC PLD series or a crown not sure on the crown yet. The problem I have with the QSC is that more than likely after I test the sub and use it for a month or so i will move onto another project and the JL will end up in the basement so spending that much on a amp for temporary use i just have a problem with. I could swap out for one of my other behringer but i am happy with them for the other items im running and do not really need to swap out

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Bridged the 3000dsp and getting much better response can't give numbers yet as my mic still has yet to arrive. But I do need a new amp. I need something that can get 2000w into a 4ohm load as I will run as it is a 4ohm driver as the 3000dsp has no problems with running it that way. So looking for some ideas. The one thing I can say is I do not really want to drop 2000$ on it. Looking for some ideas

·
Registered
255 Posts
So the inuke copes with the 3 ohm load well while bridged? Did you try and see how loud it would go, and did it at any point shut off? What about heat levels?

Curious as this info is great for future reference/knowledge.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Sorry for the delay. I received my new mic but have not done any testing as of yet. I have just taken out my spl meter it's a radio shack analog using it on setting weighted slow C. Watching transformers dark side of moon and during a few seens I'm hitting 116 from sitting position. I am running off the behringer 3000dsp in bridged mono. I have not had the amp shut down or over hear as of yet. Running the amp to right about the clipping indicator on the front panel. Sound quality is good. I am also comparing it to custom PSI 12" with dual PRs. I get almost identical response from the PSI sub as far as output. It is the black sub in the pics. I will hook up the veneered sub in the pics tomorrow also to compare output as that sub can handle little more than the black painted sub. The JL though according to modeling should be able to handle around 2000w and I believe I'm only getting around 1200w through the 3000dsp. I'll hook up the mic and run some testin tomorrow night. So far the JL is a nice sub but if I'm running with a 3000dsp for power I do not think I'm utilizing its full potential. So if your limited in power and for what the JL cost I would think there are other options out there like the PSI for one that would do the job. I have the specs on both of the PSI subs I have in the pics if anyone is interested in them to model up. I'm still working on getting a new amp to run the JL temporarily as I'm currently planning a 15" build now. I think I'll end up with the Behringer 12,000dsp for the amp to power the JL temporarily and to power the 15" project I'm looking at doing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That sounds great! By any chance, did you stuff the enclosure or line it with any type of material?

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what those PSI's model like, you have the TS parameters?

The inuke series of amps are really great value for money. The 12000dsp would be a great choice.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts