Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am attempting to build my first sub and am not sure which direction to start. I have a open concept home and the viewing area is in the living room which is open to the rest of the house. I think my budget doesn't allow for a sealed system so I am thinking either ported or tapped horn will be best. I don't mind if its multiple subs as long as they fit in the space I have designated for them and come in at the $1500 max budget for everything (amp, eq, drivers, wood). The space is 50"W X 50"D x 60"H. I am not scared about the construction aspect of this build, it's the eq I need to do that has me a little nervous so maybe a design that isn't terribly difficult to integrate into the room. listening habits are generally between -10 to -20 on the receiver and it will be used for movies/television with a little music and gaming thrown in. Expectations for the new sub would be something that digs DEEP. My old mirage s12 was useless below 23hz so I would like to get down to the mid teens that is nice and tight with decent spl. So what would you guys do in this situation? Thanks for taking the time to read this post!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Lilmikes Microwrecker looks very interesting indeed. I have been looking at a bunch of different designs on the web such as the lilwrecker, GJallahorn, the housewrecker, THT, and the marty sub. I have downloaded winisd and also unibox to try and learn a little more about modeling but I can't get unibox to work for some reason. I was thinking about possibly doing one sub and also uprgrading my receiver at the same time, but I think the smartest action would be to concentrate the budget on doing two subs. Would one sub of the mentioned designs (or others) be enough for my room, or should I go for two? Are there any other designs I should be looking at? Thank you

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well, I've never actually heard a horn sub, but the guys that made these are pretty good at it. If I remember correctly, they were very satisfied with just one sub. You could PM them to get their attention. I'm sure they will be happy to advise you since they have first hand experience. These horn loaded subs have exceptional output.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts