Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We needed an end table that would span the distance of the two we're currently using end to end (approximately 48"). I had to build one with a cubby type space for the wife to store things. I also had to build it so you couldn't tell it was a subwoofer (her qualifications). Given the last two I built for the theater, I was willing to adhere to her guidelines.

I posted a while back asking for some help with winisd to model the odd driver i picked up from eD. It doesnt get as low as I wanted, so I built the cabinet with the ability to add a 15" ixl down the line, and get some more out of the oaudio amp, by just upping the gain and changing the HPF crossover point.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...al-discussion/55297-winisd-modeling-help.html < winisd help thread where volume/calculations were done.

That said-- I started last week and meant to post my progress but got busy--so, I'll post my progress up to today:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Plan on finishing it with light on the recessed panels and darker on the accent/trim. Staining always scares me a bit--hopefully it turns out ok.

I'll be securing a large piece of granite for the top. It wil be roughly 26x49 to have a bit of an overhang.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That cabinet looks outstanding! I do have a question for you tho, could the amp being mounted upside down cause it to overheat?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well ..fit up the driver and have a metal clanging noise when the driver is moving air... emailed eD -hope they can sort that out. It moves freely when move the cone down/up gently--no scratching. Not too sure what this could be--also, if i push on the rubber surround while its doing it, the noise goes away... anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it would seem it is hitting max excursion relatively easily. I'm going to move to an ixl 15 when I get the chance --- sized right for it anyway.

All done:

Sounds really great, despite the relatively limited low volumes it's capable of before it hits max excursion lol. It's near field anyway, so it doesnt have to get too loud to be affective.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Wow, that turned out really well! Great build. Smart thinking leaving room to upgrade woofers! The granite top is a really nice feature.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That looks excellent! What is it ported to? If you're having issues of over-excursion, maybe you could plug the ports to see what results you get or perhaps get an inline F-Mod for ~30hz seeing that it may be tuned relatively high and is near-field.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
problem was actually the driver--there was a mechanical issue. eD sent a replacement and I received it today--it's quite good now :)

it's tuned to around 20.5hz, and the hpf is set at 20hz to prevent the driver over-excursion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am just taking a wild guess, but it looked like you are feeding both the R and L inputs on the Oaudio amp. Are you using a y adapter to feed both or does your receiver/source not output a mono signal? They specifically say not to feed both inputs if you are using a mono signal. It might be worth a shot to unplug one of them and see if you eliminate your issue.

Scratch that I just noticed that you posted that you received a new driver.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts