Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this build project and will post pictures showing the progression. These will be 2 15" Dayton Titanic MK III with Exodus Audio PR 18 passive radiators in a 5 cu ft Sonotube 40". I am doing this project along with building a new rack stand for all the components and the TV. If anyone wants me to include pictures of the rack/stand as well as the sub build let me know otherwise I will just post pictures of the sub build. The first 2 pictures are just the Sonotube with the Daytons and the wood to do both projects.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I think i'll hitch a ride on this one if you don't mind :T Honestly you don't know how lucky you are being able to source these sonotubes, nothing really like it this side of the pond :rolleyesno: Good luck with the build, recently received a few Exodus Audio PRs myself so it'll be interesting to see what you do :)

I just wish i'd had a digital camera when i built my rack, i'd like to see some pics, just to inspire others to DIY :T Maybe an alternative thread on the thing might be better, might help people out when using the site search if they want information on something similar?

Good luck & enjoy :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in the States (Missouri), and I'm having trouble finding these tubes in any decent size. Settled for a 12" tube from Lowes to try out this design with my 10" Sub. It sounds decent, but I think the sub needs more breathing room.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I thought I might have trouble finding the sono brand too but I got lucky and have a local building supply co that stocks them. I haven't worked on the sub build for the last couple of days, the faceplates are drying and I will probably cut them to size on Tuesday and get the mdf for the back plates. I have been working on the Rack/stand for the last 2 days.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I think i'll hitch a ride on this one if you don't mind :T Honestly you don't know how lucky you are being able to source these sonotubes, nothing really like it this side of the pond :rolleyesno: Good luck with the build, recently received a few Exodus Audio PRs myself so it'll be interesting to see what you do :)

I just wish i'd had a digital camera when i built my rack, i'd like to see some pics, just to inspire others to DIY :T Maybe an alternative thread on the thing might be better, might help people out when using the site search if they want information on something similar?

Good luck & enjoy :)
Find the local concrete place and you should have a good source.

An alternative would be to use a rectangular downfiring sub.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Gonna have to hitch a ride on this one as well, all of the sudden i'm interested in the idea of the sonotube type sub, one question i've got though for anyone out there, is there any benefit or differance in a sonotube or a traditional build?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Hey Bambino, I've seen some say the box SVS subs with identical driver and volume sounds different (better) than the sono version, but not sure if it is significantly different. Many don't do sono's because it fails waf, I think. My wife actually preferred tubes as she didn't want a bunch of coffins, I mean boxes, littering the house :heehee:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
If anyone wants me to include pictures of the rack/stand as well as the sub build let me know otherwise I will just post pictures of the sub build.
Definitely include pics of the rack in a separate thread :T We don't have many good diy stand build threads with photos, usually just the finished product.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Hey Bambino, I've seen some say the box SVS subs with identical driver and volume sounds different (better) than the sono version, but not sure if it is significantly different. Many don't do sono's because it fails waf, I think. My wife actually preferred tubes as she didn't want a bunch of coffins, I mean boxes, littering the house :heehee:
I was kinda thinkin about the WAF factor too:rofl:, As the sonos wouldn't take up as much realistate as the coffins:devil: i mean boxes. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Honestly, I overbuilt my sono's legs/base. Tall boxes would have been much easier. I said: "large coffee table" or "tall cylinder". She heard: "huge coffin" or "tall cylinder". She likes vampire movies, but not THAT much :rofl2:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That hilarious Ironglen. Mine will be laying on their sides, and my wife is getting used to their size while they sit in my "workout" room. Maybe she will be good with them when they finally get moved into the system, it will be a few weeks yet. I am going to cut and sand/finish the faceplates Thursday/Friday. I'll post pics then.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Great! I want to see your handy-work.

On the side, huh? Would that be behind the couch? I figured that would work. I saw another build that had oversized endplates that had a flat edge, to enable laying it down.

I have three types of tubes, but never found the actual Sonotube brand- very cool.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope not behind the couch, this will be easier to explain with a picture. The right sub will go where the small sub next to the rack is now, so it will be between the edge of the rack that I am building and the Maelstrom X in the corner. The edge of the rack will come out to the edge of the wood frame around the TV. The left sub will fit in under the Dayton 15" sub in the stand on the right side
that I built for the Dayton. The problem there is, it will have to be basically built into that stand so if I want to move it in the future I will have to take that stand apart to do so. The reason for the subs being on their sides is that I am using 18" passive radiators on the backs of the subs and they would not function in the horizontal plane only the verticle plane. I am going to make the back plates square and make a "cradle for the front half of the sub for it to sit level in. It should be cool seeing this "before" pic and then the "after" pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ironglen, I read through your Maelstrom X build thread before I built my sealed Maelstrom. Your turned out fantastic, I think it fits in your room just fine, excellent high quality build man.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Ironglen, I read through your Maelstrom X build thread before I built my sealed Maelstrom. Your turned out fantastic, I think it fits in your room just fine, excellent high quality build man.
Thanks for the compliment! If you like sonotubes, my house is the place to visit: small, sealed, LLT...I got it covered! :dumbcrazy:

I caught the mix-up after my second reading-haha. You've got a multipurpose ht, like me (personally, I think those dedicated ht guys have it easier-hahahaha

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep the dedicated H/T is seriously nice, but I like the versatility and I am way more into 2 channel. Man I want to get back to working with the wood for this project but its been so hot here I haven't been able to work for the last 4 days, my buddies wood shop gets seriously hot in this weather. Finally going to get back at it Sat/Sunday.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.