Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
this will be my first time posting so if done poorly bear with me.

My wife and I got a new place a year or so ago and it became pretty
obvious (to me) that our 12" 150W SONY piece of ($125) sub just
wasn't up to snuff. When we moved in first up went the wallmount 40" flatscreen and the
7.1 CARVER wall mount sound system. It sounded pretty good, but for those who can't
leave well enough alone. The wall mount speakers came back down, got stuffed with polyfill,
completely silicone sealed, and also redid the x-over on the center. Overall, I think
it sounds much better, but the bass still sounded hollow and boomy from the SONY.
Determined to eventually change the sub, searching on the internet for replacements
I somehow stumbled across the DIY idea and that my friends is really when the ball started rolling.

In searching the DIY forums, I really like what I saw and read on the TC-Sounds sub lines.
The specs, the testamonies, the appearance factor, and the $ factor... I was a sold man.

Sorry this is going to have to be a short intro to the madness that has followed. It's late and time
to call it a night... (more to come) - E

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,
I work nights at one of the local hospitals doing seven-on/seven-off rotations. Now is my week on, so not much gets done when home mostely just sleep. To answer your question, YES I did find a 15" TC-2000 SVC for my main HT build.
Again, sorry I'll write more in a few days. - E

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a few progress pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry,
I'll try and go into more details this Monday.
It's been a busy week filled with work, birthday's, and leaking basements.
Cheers - E

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
yes the MDF was kerfed, shaped, glued, and then fiberglassed over to strengthen.
Here's an updated pic with color on it. Oh... and NO the bottom was not filled with sand.
The bracing and the bottom where necessary to accomadate for the bottom part of the
port flare. More details to follow.
Cheers - E

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow!! Very nice looking sub! I love the curved MDF. Is that a slot port, or would it be a "folded" slot, or did I just make that up? Great job on the build, it looks very nice and solid. Double thick walls all over? How about filling in that bottom area with insulation, or even spray foam?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very nice looking so far. I'm guessing by now you've got it built and have thoroughly listened to it. Impressions? Blows that little sony out of the water huh?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Beautifull cabinet. Love to see the finished unit...:T

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Great build.

When you do kerfing on MDF do you have to slightly moisten the the outside so that it does not crack or split during the bend?

Any tips on how you did the port would greeted by a big:T

1 - 20 of 22 Posts