Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing to exciting my first "real" sub enclosure build, wanted to do something a little different. :D Some my have seen it over on the AVS forum, thought I'd post it here as well since this section seems a little dead for the last while. (been lurking for years)
Found a TC sounds 15" LMS prototype in the local kijiji , the guy agreed to bring it over and let me test it with the rest of my home theater. He didn't have a box or anything for it so I built a quick one out of spruce ply since I didn't know if I was going to buy it I really didn't want to invest alot of time or $$ into a box. I bought it, it sounded way nicer than the Klipsch RW12D it was replacing even in this cheap box. :D Anyway here's the build pics, it's approx 120lt net 19mm MDF double walled top, bottom and front shelf braced with a magnet brace. It's in primer at the moment, hope to finish it within the next week or so.

The sub.

Where I started, used my DIY panel saw to make all the cuts for the curve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After the test fit with the top and bottom inner panels I glued and nailed it together. I then used the sawdust from the MDF mixed with Polyester Resin to fill all the voids in the curved section and started adding braces.

Shelf bracing was all cut and sanded to fit each location since it's not perfect on both sides. :whistling:

Front baffles on and grill edges nailed on and formed. And a couple pics before I started the filler work.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Finhead,

I followed this build on the avsforum. Really cool build. Does the bendy mdf come with the slots in it or did you put them it.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put all the cuts in myself with the diy panel saw. Started off as a standard sheet of 19mm MDF. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device oh and thanks for the props.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
What a GREAT sub box!!!!

Can you tell me a little about the Iron Man stuff in the background??????

Thanks!!:T

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.:D

What a GREAT sub box!!!!

Can you tell me a little about the Iron Man stuff in the background??????

Thanks!!:T
IM stuff in the background, it's another project that I have going on. I build and cast movie props as a side job/hobby, this is the latest project. It will be a full suit eventually just need to find the time, it will be cast in gelcoat/fiberglass and will be fully wearable.

Wow! I'm blewn away :) Fantastic work! Did you already make any measurements or it is not fully assembled actually?
Not sure what your asking here? The enclosure is sitting in my garage primed waiting for me to sand down and finish, that's as far as I've got on it.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Wow! I'm blown away by this one, that is one awesome box! Great job. Just curious to how you figurd your volume.:dontknow: I like the panel saw as well you have inspired me.:T

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That is one almighty ironman suit matey. Very very impressed. What do you build the props for if you don't mind me asking.

cheers

Graham
Thanks, well it started off as a personal project so my Batman Panther suit/costume has some company. :laugh: Yeah it was just for a statue for my theater room or wherever. But it turned into me casting 22 helmets and 20 sets of bolts hip pods so far that's why it's not done. It was for me then it was to make extra $$ now it's back to "for me" till it's complete. ;) And just to get it out of the way here's some more shots of it before I dismantled it to fix some stuff I didn't like. I also do other movie props and odd projects.
A link to some of my other hobbies and stuff I've built incase anyone wants to have a look see. Sorry for the off topic guys.

Wow! I'm blown away by this one, that is one awesome box! Great job. Just curious to how you figurd your volume.:dontknow: I like the panel saw as well you have inspired me.:T
Thank you. :)

To figure out the area, I had a box drawn around the shape I had decided on for the top/bottom. I then divided up the empty space along with the 3/4" for wall thickness into triangles, overlapping rather than under so it would err on the side of less. Doubled that for the two sides and I get the area of the odd shape. The only other way I know how to do this is to find the area of an oval LxWx.8 and divide that by 2. Which was fairly close but a bit on the small side since the sides of my enclosure are not as curved as an oval.
Here's a download link for the panel saw

WOW, that is truly awesome!!! What are you going to use to power it?

Matt
Thank you as well. :) What's powering it right now is what will be for awhile till I can convince the wife I need a bigger amp or I can sneek one in. :) A Mic2200 feeding a Behringer EP1500, it works pretty good in the little spruce ply test box I built so it should only sound better with this new enclosure. Well I hope it does. Here's where it's at till the new box is all finished off.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Thanks for the link.:T Ironically i just happend to be out looking at Table saws today as i have a project i want to do that just using the circular saw will not do.:rolleyesno:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the link.:T Ironically i just happend to be out looking at Table saws today as i have a project i want to do that just using the cicular saw will not do.:rolleyesno:
No problem I hosted it this morning for another guy anyway. :) It's a weekend project that is well worth it IMO. Enjoy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
All the images are coming up 'moved or deleted' and when I check you photobucket direct, it says all albums are empty or private.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry I was trying to move stuff around at my parents and the whole thing got all messed up, just trying to reupload the album I deleted and fix all the links I suck at this computer stuff. :dontknow::rubeyes:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts