Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of 15" Dayton Titanic Mk3 subs in 3.5 cuft sealed enclosures. They are driven by a pair of Dayton 1000w amps. I have run into over excursion problems when driven very loud at all. Subsonic filter helps a little.
These will be paired with a Maelstrom 18" ported tuned to 15hz. I would like to fix the problem with the Titanics, maybe build some different enclosures, maybe just turn down the volume? What does everyone think?
Dane-

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
There would be no over excursion problems with a Titanic 15 in 3.5 cu.ft sealed powered by a Dayton 1000 watt plate amp. The amps are clipping due to being over driven. If you want more output from these subs then consider 8 cu.ft. tuned to 22 hz., you'd get huge gains in the 16 - 40 hz range.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
If the maelstrom is an true LLT, then I would just do as Mike suggests and give the sealed subs better power, and if you wanted you could reduce the cab(s) a little. It would raise their Q a little, but it shouldnt be an issue if coupled with an LLT. Reducing the cab size will make them harder to push to excursion and provide a bit more upper bass kick, but you would still need better power. I would also consider a HPF that basically allows the maelstrom to take care of everything below say 30hz, and just use the sealed oves over this, with the HPF set to say 25hz.

Just throwing ideas out there, but the results could be very good if done right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. My plans for the Mealstrom has changed a little since starting this thread. The final plan is to build a pair of 13 cu ft ported tuned to 17 hz with Fi Q18 drivers. If I use the sealed Titanics, they wont have to play very loud with the Fi's.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
If you haven't thought about it, I highly recommend 1-2 Behringer EP2500/4000s.

I bought one to power my Tempest-X and I could probably drive a pair of them safely -- or a pair of other speakers like what you're doing.

I bought a second one to power my 8cuft 18" Maelstrom in a sealed enclosure. I have it bridged currently..... but the Malestrom is definitely far more power hungry than smaller drivers.

I think it's Pmax is 1500w.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My amp has a light that should blink when clipping and this has not happened. Is the enclosure maybe a little too large? I really think it is the driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts