Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What aspect is everyone using for their screens? I am wanting a dual purpose projector for movies and for HD Sports from cable. I believe I'm right in thinking that my cable HD channels are in 4:3 while most movies are offered in 16:9...is this accurate? Is it better to project 4:3 onto a 16:9 or vice versa? (as far as getting a larger projection)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet. Since you seem to be one of the Big Dogs around here. I want to get your take on which screen you think is better? Going with a painted BW surface or Laminate (DW or FG depending on my ambient light)? I'm actually really pumped about trying either of them and they both sound very reasonable in cost. Thanks man.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
It all depends. What type of room, lighting, personal preferences, etc? Do you have a pj already? Then the throw distance and screen size preference would be good to know as well.

Designer White laminate cannot be beat at this point in time for a diy white screen. Black Widow is the best diy dark gray screen. And C&S falls in between, leaning a bit closer to DW.

Depending upon your conditions, we have a solution for you! :T

mech

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It all depends. What type of room, lighting, personal preferences, etc?

This will be a basement projector. Moderate Ambient lighting with lights on, controllable with lights off. Seating area is 12 x 15 but the room extends back further if further projector placement is needed

Do you have a pj already? Then the throw distance and screen size preference would be good to know as well.

I am deciding between the Pan AX200U and the Epson HC720. I am heavily in favor of the Pan AX200U at the moment, but have heard reports from a few individuals on another board about dimming/brightness issues. However, the Ax200U still sounds too good for the money not to buy it. I'm shooting for a 96"-100" screen and a throw distance of somewhere in the mid-range of the projectors throw (for that screen size I believe somewhere around 15' for the AX200U). The seating will be about 13-14' from the screen.

Designer White laminate cannot be beat at this point in time for a diy white screen. Black Widow is the best diy dark gray screen. And C&S falls in between, leaning a bit closer to DW.

I was originally thinking the BW due the fact that it sounds like this projector has lumens to spare and the BW Grey would still look good with as many lumens as well as punch up the blacks. It also sounds like the BW is the best for ambient lighting, which I'm sure I'll be having quite a few College/NFL watchings so some ambient light will be likely.

Depending upon your conditions, we have a solution for you! :T

mech
Let me know if this sounds accurate? This is all new to this guy and I want to get the best screen possible (in my price range obviously :bigsmile: ).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this is DIY screens, but while I got ya here. What's your opinion on those two projectors or even another one similarly priced?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I know this is DIY screens, but while I got ya here. What's your opinion on those two projectors or even another one similarly priced?
This is all projector screens. ;) Commercial and DIY. And I can't say which would be better. But I can tell you where I'd look! :T

First I'd pose the question here. Then I'd go check out projectorcentral.com and projectorreviews.com

You should be able to make a good decision that way. If wbassett wasn't under the weather, I'm sure he'd have some good opinions. Especially about the Panasonic.

mech

·
Registered
18 Posts
Minority opinion here: A lot of your decision depends on your theater configuration. We built a new room for our theater, so we had a lot of options - but with a width of 20' and a need for a door, speakers, and an equipment area, we were left with about 8' wide for a screen. A good deal of our movies are on DVD and are 4:3 format. We also have a Dish VIP 722. I wanted to do a constant width so I would have the largest image regardless of format. For me, that meant making the screen as wide as possible and using the 4:3 aspect ratio to determine the heigth. When watching a 4:3 movie, it is a 115" screen. When watching either 16:9 or 'scope, we still have an image that is 8' wide and the respective heigth. If we had gone with a 16:9 screen, the 4:3 material would have been substantially smaller. In fact, I would probably watch in on my 50" Panny plasma since it would be so much smaller than the 115" screen we have now.

Why not build the theater using a 4:3 screen and place the projector so you can use the zoom to fill the width regardless of format? That would give you the best of both! As an aside, I intended to use 2" wide duvetene tape for the black border - but after watching for about a year have decided that it would call more attention to the differing formats - so we still have no border. But we love the results and have watched over 500 hours of movies and specials over the last year, compared to maybe 6 to 10 DVD's in previous years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tend to agree with southsound about things depending on your configuration but I think it also depends on what you plan on watching most. I am planning a 2.4:1 screen that is 50"x120" (I think I have those numbers right:huh:). My plan is to use the Panny 200u and zoom to move between the aspect ratios. My home theater is all about watching movies and so that is what I am building towards. Unlike southsound, I don't have much in the way of 4:3 dvd content and if I do watch 4:3 tv it won't bother me that it is not big. I think a 16:9 screen is a good compromise if you plan to watch all three.

Mech:

Is BW that much better than FG? I have been thinking of going FG for the durability aspects of it but I can be persuaded. Also, and this may show my ignorance with paints, has anyone mixed Cream&Sugar and BW? If so, how did it turn out? (If this is a topic for another thread let me know - new here and don't want to start off on the wrong foot):wave:

ag

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Mech:

Is BW that much better than FG? I have been thinking of going FG for the durability aspects of it but I can be persuaded. Also, and this may show my ignorance with paints, has anyone mixed Cream&Sugar and BW? If so, how did it turn out? (If this is a topic for another thread let me know - new here and don't want to start off on the wrong foot):wave:

ag
Hi ag,

Welcome to the Shack!

Yes, this part of your post was off-topic, but hey, it happens. :laugh: Mech or Wbassett will have to answer the BW/FG question since I have no experience with FG at all. I'll answer the C&S+BW question here because it really doesn't warrant it's own thread because, no, we have never mixed C&S with BW. It is however; a really good question, and I can't believe we haven't thought of doing that test before now.:doh: Winter is rearing it's ugly head big-time here in the eastern U.S. so it might be a while before any test panels are done, but I can make up some small samples to check for neutrality.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Laminates are an extremely simple and durable DIY screen. Any time you use a painted screen you always have the 'ding factor' hanging over your head. Fashion Grey was nice but I prefer my BW. BW has deeper blacks and equal whites to FG. My FG also had two coats of polyurethane on top of it, which yellowed over time. If you want a laminate that has blacks equal to BW, I'd suggest Platinum. :T

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did anyone ever try platinum? I did a search but didn't find anything. I suppose I am game to try it. Even if it doesn't work well then I will have a great material for a coat of BW. :T

thanks

ag

S

·
0 Posts
What I really hate is watching 4:3 material on 16:9 screens.
you have just two options: black on both sides or cut something from the material away

in my opinion i really got used to the normal black blocks above and under the material (when watching 16:9 on 4:3)

so its realy strange for my eyes if i watch it otherwise

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Did anyone ever try platinum? I did a search but didn't find anything. I suppose I am game to try it. Even if it doesn't work well then I will have a great material for a coat of BW. :T

thanks

ag
Not that I'm aware of. But Bill (wbassett) and myself have always promoted it as a viable solution. Especially for darker blacks on a laminate.

Platinum was a tad bit more neutral too.

Fashion Grey

191 191 187 RGB
77.3 -0.91 1.89 L*a*b*
0.315 0.334 52 xyY

Platinum

181 181 179
73.5 -0.22 1.21
0.315 0.332 45.9

You want those a and b values closest to zero. Platinum will be a touch darker than BW looking at this.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
What I really hate is watching 4:3 material on 16:9 screens.
you have just two options: black on both sides or cut something from the material away

in my opinion i really got used to the normal black blocks above and under the material (when watching 16:9 on 4:3)

so its realy strange for my eyes if i watch it otherwise
I watch mainly HDTV, so the 16:9 makes sense for me. And it's always brutal watching any SD material on a HD setup.

S

·
0 Posts
It is, but what do you do if you watch normal TV,

here in germany just a few programms are avaliable in hdtv, and some just sometimes

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It is, but what do you do if you watch normal TV,

here in germany just a few programms are avaliable in hdtv, and some just sometimes
Its never going to be perfect one must choose what they want to live with. If you watch mostly movies then a 16x9 screen is still the best way to go. It is easier to have blackout cloth or curtains that can be moved inwards to mask off the area of the 19:9 screen if only viewing 4:3 material if it really bothers you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts