Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all,

Found this 12awg 165 strand speaker wire and it seems like a pretty good deal, does anyone know if they've found it cheaper anywhere? I'm surprised that is comes in 250ft and 100ft, vs the standard 500ft lengths...
I've bought other stuff from them before, but wasn't sure if someone else has bought this particular wire somewhere cheaper, the cheapest i've found so far was $119 at one place and this place is only $90/250ft and $158 for the 500ft...

Let me know what you find! :spend:

www.diyhometheatersupply.com

www.diyhometheatersupply.com/12-Gauge-250-ft-CL2-In-Wall-Speaker-Wire-p/w-spk-g4-291250.htm

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Why would 165 strands be more effective speaker cable than 65 strand cable?

That is, other than causing more people to short their outputs due to a stray strand.

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

As bambio noted, high strand count cable is more flexible and supple. That’s great for any speaker wiring between your receiver and front three speakers, since it lays on the floor nice and pretty and perfectly flat. However, ttere’s no good reason to use (or pay for) high-strand-count speaker cable inside the walls.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Besides being more flexible, the main reason for the higher strand count is that in many "audiophile" circles a higher strand count is actually a more efficient speaker wire because the current travels around each strand, and thus with higher strand counts, it is feasible that your speaker wire can play with less distortion at higher volumes because it can move current more efficiently... do a google on "skin effect" in speaker wire...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts