Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after much wobbling between a bigger driver sealed build or a ported Shiva build (due to my size constraints), I finally made the decision to go sealed.

This started as a replacement for my Cadence CSX-15 sub (for sale locally if anyone is interested :) ). This sub was just good enough to give me a taste for what a DIY sub could offer. And honestly the allure of a sealed alignment with output into the teens really got me excited. To do it on a budget was also a driving factor.

The room is around 12x17.5x7.5 for a total of around 1600ft^3 and is sealed. It's carpet and pad over concrete in my split level home.

The enclosure design was limited to 23" cube via self imposed limitations. It's made of 3/4" MDF with a double thick front baffle. The driver was purchased used and the amplifier is an EP1500 which was bought new for $190 shipped, which I think is a steal for this kind of power. The driver is a D4 configuration so I'm running it 8 Ohms bridged to the Behringer for around 800W.

Another goal of mine was to do this whole build without screws or brads (no real reason, besides to say "I did it"). Out of all of the work, what I'm most proud of is the bracing job. It took longer to do that than the whole rest of the enclosure.

I still need to finish a few things in my room (curtains, some trim work, etc.), so I'm going to wait until that's done before I run Audessey MultEQ (Onkyo TX-SR706).

But my initial impressions are as follows:

1. "Wow... this thing sure looked a lot smaller in the garage."
2. "... Hmmmm ... I could have sworn my mains were bigger than that."
3. While listening to the "Machine Emerges" scene from WotW... "Dear Lord, what have I done?!"

Total Project Costs:
19Ov2 (used) - $150
Behringer EP1500 - $190
MDF - $50
Black Ash Vinyl Laminate - $20
Terminal Plate - $6?
Titebond III - $8?
12 gauge wiring - Had it.
2 used pillows for fill - Had 'em.

Total costs (- aggravation and time) ;) = $424.

A7s-450 performance (close anyway) for a A2-300 price. :D

Thanks to all the folks here who've posted great DIY info and your own build threads for the motivation for this project!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ohhh... I have to have a certain number of posts before I can embed images. For those of you on the edge of your seats, I appreciate your patience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice build and final product. I take it you're happy with the performance. Well done!
Actually, I haven't had a chance to really run it through it's paces yet due to my lack of proper EQ'ing. But once I run the MultEQ, I plan on giving it the "demo" treatment.

I'll keep you all posted... but I don't think it's going to disappoint. :flex:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... The results are in. I like it! :T

With my CSX-15, I actually added a Clark Synthesis TST-209 tactile transducer with a 200 W amplifier. This gave me the tactile response I couldn't achieve with the subwoofer alone. We recently got a new sectional sofa and I haven't gotten around to reinstalling the Clark.

When watching Avatar last night, there were a couple of scenes where my wife asked me "Did you put the "Buttshaker" back in?" To which I replied, "nope". :bigsmile:

This DIY behemoth gives me all of the tactile sensation (maybe more) of my previous 15" plus transducer.

My next bit of listening will involve some test tones and an SPL meter (once I buy one). I'm really curious (thanks guys!) of what my in-room response/extension looks like with this thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts