Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK I have been playing with RDES and my subs. I have onlyplayed around with it a little. I can't seem to get rid of that 22hz peak.

Can't really move my subs so I don't know what to do with that. Red is no EQ and purple is EQ it a couple rounds and coming up with that.

Since RDES has 5 filters now will they add one since REQW only has 4 for it right now?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
They updated it a while back to have 5 filters...originally came with 4.
Ahhh, OK I get it now.

Yeah, I guess John would upgrade REW to allow 5 filters when using RDES in the next version.

For now it would be fairly easy for you to use another equalizer selection in the REW pulldown that has more filters (such as the TMREQ) and then modify the Q of each filter when finished so it complies with the RDES Q calculation. You can see how the Q of the RDES filters and the Q of the TMREQ filters differ for their bandwidth in Hz at the half gain points. You would use this feature for your calculation.

Or you could also perhaps select RDES and do your filters in two steps by using 4 filters (and enter those 4 filters in REW) and remeasure and then play with a new set of 4 to get the additional filter if needed...

Anyway, it would take a certain amount of fooling around.

brucek

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok so I got a BFD for christmas and finally got around to playing with it - any thoughts on the following - This is two subs in a smaller room. House curve of 30 8.0 80 0.0. First pic is before and second is after - 3rd both.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Your graph #1 unequalized doesn't really look like it needs equalization. A bit of movement in listening position or the sub would likely make it a bit better, but it isn't bad the way it is now... Nothing wrong with tweaking it a bit as you have, but I'll bet you can get rid of the equalizer completely with a bit of work..

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts

brucek makes a valid point. That said, if you’re going to equalize, I’d recommend re-doing it. Your target is nicely between your main response depressions and peaks, but it looks like you applied a bunch of boosting filters to raise the overall signal level. Not a good tact. Not to mention, you’re not tracking your house curve too well (esp. between 40-60 Hz).

I’d re-equalize, using both boosting and cutting filters this time to better track your house curve.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,271 Posts

Sorry to leave you hanging, been out of town the past few days...
Only vaguely, I’m afraid. I did note that I raised the target level between the peaks and valleys before equalizing, the filter panel shows some boosted filters, but I didn’t discuss boosting vs. cutting filters directly.

Looking at your earlier graph...

...I’d apply cuts below ~38 Hz and boosts above. Your response doesn’t require any drastic boosting or cutting, so it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is, your sub will let you know with lots of nasty sounds during demanding movies, once the level is re-adjusted. You also might take a look at your response with a more the more realistic 20-130 dB window I mentioned in the article, before equalizing. You might find you don’t need any EQ at all, as brucek mentioned, or if so, not as much as you had thought.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
To put the bfd in bypass mode I just push in the in/out button and it will blink - this means that there is no filter applied correct?

Is there a way to reset the BFD?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
If you push the IN/OUT button, the green light will go off. That means the filters are not applied.

If you push and hold the IN/OUT button, it will flash, that means the filters are not applied, plus the VU meters indicate input level as opposed to output level.

Is there a way to reset the BFD?
No. What is it you want to reset?

brucek

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok so here is an update -

Smoothing - 1/3
cutoff 60 (I have my mains crossed over at 60) so this should be at 60 correct?
target level 78.3
House curve -
30 8.0
80 0.0

Graphs - before, after, and both.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Wayne does this look better -
Also why would the red led lights light up on the right channel when I am using the left channel?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts