Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
RadioShack SPL meter.
The Radio Meters should only be used to 3KHz. You require a better meter for full range.

1/12 octave smoothing
Usually, 1/3rd octave smoothing is recommended for full range.
Turn off smoothing for sub graphs.

fronts pre-out to aux-in to integrated amp
You're passing the signal through two pre-amps?

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Will the Galaxy CM-140 allow me do the full range measurement?
Yes..

I am contemplating hooking up my CD to the Onkyo CD input and using the stereo mode in the Onkyo to listen to music.
Passing the signal through two preamps would add the distortion and noise of the two systems. It's not really advisable. It might be acceptable for movies (not really considered critical listening), but not for music.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Peaks in the sub signal are usually caused by room modes, and can be helped considerably by sub placement. Sometimes, fairly small moves can tame a peak. Try some placement changes before equalization, and then if you're not successful, get a BFD.

It would be nice if you could keep the peak below about 5dB. Your peak appears to be about 11dB.

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Note: It's easier to look at graphs if you remove the soundcard and meter cal lines. The checkboxes at the bottom of the REW screen disable their display (not their function). Then set your target line for full range when you're measuring full range (you have it set to subwoofer). This gives you a good reference to compare your response against.
Try and set a 75dBSPL target level when measuring.

The Audyssey appears to remove the troublesome 37Hz peak fairly well. In fact, the response with Audyssey engaged is quite good.

brucek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts