Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I ran a cord direct from my htpc to sub
This results in not being able to observe the sub through the crossover, which is something you really want to see. The crossover affects the level of the sub as the frequency increases. Peaks near or above can be greatly reduced (and perhaps ignored) as a result. You need to see this. Run REW through the receiver with the mains off.

My main concern is the boominess/muddiness in music. Do you think the 60Hz peak is what's doing that?
A lot more than a peak at 25Hz would be affecting the music. There is very little content at 25Hz in music.

brucek

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This results in not being able to observe the sub through the crossover, which is something you really want to see. The crossover affects the level of the sub as the frequency increases. Peaks near or above can be greatly reduced (and perhaps ignored) as a result. You need to see this. Run REW through the receiver with the mains off.

A lot more than a peak at 25Hz would be affecting the music. There is very little content at 25Hz in music.

brucek
RE: crossover - OK then, that's next. Glad I saw this before I moved the sub, its a monster.

RE: 60Hz peak - actually that had occurred to me already. This sub is really for movie viewing, or, being the .1 in a 5/7.1 setup.

I've ordered a 10" sealed sub for my 2 channel listening. I'm learning REW on my present .1 sub so I can really dial in the expected 10" sub for music listening, it will be mated to a pair of bookshelf speakers in a 2.1 setup.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Following the directions in the SVS manual, I set the PEQ filter for the 60Hz peak, then tweaked it twice, got the following;

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Following the directions in the SVS manual, I set the PEQ filter for the 60Hz peak, then tweaked it twice, got the following;
Looking better :yes:

I would not worry about getting a flat frequency response ... but play with REW, your sub placement , etc. to find the best spot and learn what you have to do to adjust/change the frequency response :yes:

I'm sure you'll think: Why is he telling me this??? ... so I

... Pio AVR that only goes down to xo of 100, but replacing it soon....
Just learn a lot, so when you get your new AVR you'll be able to get the best frequency response and the best from your system :bigsmile: ... most newer AVR have a PEQ already, that combined with your sub PEQ filter and you're okay ... maybe you won't need a BFD :bigsmile:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
maybe you won't need a BFD
Yeah, and it looks that way so far. I would increase the cut on the single 60Hz filter to get it closer to the target. Then I would add the mains and be sure they didn't exacerbate the situation. You may be OK without an EQ, but if you need it, you can just add the one you have...

Your response looks quite good.

brucek

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Sal -

Doesn't hurt to hear the obvious from time to time.

I'd seen the same sentiment expressed in another thread, ie, don't get hung up on a ruler flat response, rather, make adjustments, then LISTEN to it.

So right now I have the CREAM reunion concert playing that PBS broadcast in DD5.1.

One song down, so far the annoying 'muddy' bass hasn't surface, but we'll see.

And you're right, I'm learning now more for the new Pio 1018 when I get it, as well the AV123 UFW-10 sub I'm waiting on for 2.1 music listening. :T

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bruce -

Thanks for the help!

Right now I'm going to listen to Cream for an hour, then maybe tweak that 60Hz peak one last time.

I can already hear Jack Bruce's bass line is 'cleaner'.

Heluva nice program REW! :T

Yeah, and it looks that way so far. I would increase the cut on the single 60Hz filter to get it closer to the target. Then I would add the mains and be sure they didn't exacerbate the situation. You may be OK without an EQ, but if you need it, you can just add the one you have...

Your response looks quite good.

brucek

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Back again - for the holidays got a new AVR, and will be changing out the Xovers in my main speakers. So, I'll re-run REW to see what new, if any tweaks are called for.

My question, as far as my sub goes, since no change there, do I need to re-test?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
There shouldn't be any change with the sub, but the change in crossover might create a peak or dip over that area......

brucek

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A new point - changed my htpc that runs REW to Win 7, wonder if anyone has experienced issues with Win 7 and REW?

Did a search, but nothing pops up, and the stickied post about REW still speaks to WIN XP as the approved OS for Micro-squishies.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts