Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just reviewed the project with my wife, a 4.6 cu ft cabinet for a 12" Shivia I getting from Mike P.

I was doing well in my proposal till I said, "it is about the size of the end table". That didn't go over very well so back to the drawing board.

To be honest, with the materials I have (1 sheet of 3/4" MDF and a large stack of 1 1/2" x 1/4" oak flooring), I am having a hard time designing a 24" cube cabinet which meet our family room decor. It will be placed in a prominent corner so it must look nice.

I can vision a tall design, paint it a light color with the wood strips running vertical as trim. Or a column design with American craftsman style trim.

For the inside dimension, I come up with 16"x16"x 36" tall or 14"x14"x 45" tall. I have 4" precision port tube kit on order from Parts express.

What I don't understand, is the design of a SonoSub the same as a vented cabinet using WinISD?

Would I have to place some damping material (fiberglass) inside this design.

I have no issue with placing the vent on the top just like a SonoSub but I could use a 90 degree elbow and vent it to the back.

Thanks for listening..

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
What I don't understand, is the design of a SonoSub the same as a vented cabinet using WinISD?
Yes. It's about the net volume of the cabinet. It doesn't matter if the cabinet is square or round.

Would I have to place some damping material (fiberglass) inside this design.
some people use fibreglass. I find egg crate foam much easier to wrok with. It's sold at Walmart as a mattress pad for about $20.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some people use fiberglass. I find egg crate foam much easier to work with. It's sold at Walmart as a mattress pad for about $20.
Thanks Mike, I hate working with fiberglass. When you should use damping material is still a mystery to me. I understand it can make a smaller cabinet act larger but this isn't a problem for my design.

The Adire Audio suggested cabinets says no damping material is needed for a 4.6 cu ft cabinet so I would assume my design would need to damping material. What engineering factors determine when to dampen a cabinet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts