Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My favourite words from fedex tracking website: "On FedEx truck for Delivery"....

My UXL-18 is coming today! Took 29 days from order (not like I was counting each one :whistling:)

Some quick questions....Guess my first step is to make the cutouts for the driver on the bottomplate. Since I have three layers of mdf on the bottomplate. I'm going to cutout the large diameter on the outside piece completely and then cutout the inner diameter on the two inner pieces so that the driver/screws will go through the two inner pieces? That would make it 1.5" mdf so are 2 1/2" screws long enough?

I'm thinking of tee-nuts, will gluing them into the mdf be good enough? (I know people suggest a layer of plywood to hold the nuts). Is that a must?

Mark at IST told me they "now use a wrap around rubber gasket" on these, would that mean I don't need anything else to seal the driver against the mdf on bottomplate, or is that something else?

thx..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was wondering about the mounting method too. I like how secure that looks with the layers of plywood, but is there no no need to round over the inside of the mounting hole for "breathing room"? (I am aware of small mid-range drivers which call for this)? All those sharp corners and edges look like they could add unwelcome air resistance.

Pixelguy, glad to hear your driver is in! I am anxious to hear your impressions. I was told that mine is completed, but Mark was waiting for more shipping materials to come in this week.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm thinking of tee-nuts, will gluing them into the mdf be good enough? (I know people suggest a layer of plywood to hold the nuts). Is that a must?
I've used barbed nuts in MDF directly without issue. On my latest build (ongoing) I'm using Baltic Birch and I'm going to use Hurricane nuts for the first time.

I was wondering about the mounting method too. I like how secure that looks with the layers of plywood, but is there no no need to round over the inside of the mounting hole for "breathing room"? (I am aware of small mid-range drivers which call for this)? All those sharp corners and edges look like they could add unwelcome air resistance.
Is the concern some sort of turbulence caused by sharp edges? I can't imagine that there's an audible problem there with a subwoofer. But, what do I know?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Almost Done! Just need a "go" or "no-go" from the any expert to do the final glue/seal of the top and bottom brace. I just did a test run, assembled everything (without final glue) and connected the sub to my inuke 3000....and it sounded 'REALLY BIG' considering it isn't completed yet. Guess my biggest unknown is the my attempt at pillowing the top brace....If you can see anything that I should do before gluing the top/bottom brace....speak now or forever hold your piece :)

Some photos.....

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you really need to seal the threaded fasteners holding the driver in? I'm planning to mount my drivers in the ends of the sonotube after the ends are already glued in so sealing them like that is out of the question

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Have you verified the diameter of the Sonotube? I have recently used some 8" Sonotubes and they varied by about 1/4". In the store they even put 2 inside of one tube.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Have you verified the diameter of the Sonotube? I have recently used some 8" Sonotubes and they varied by about 1/4". In the store they even put 2 inside of one tube.
yes, you definitely have to measure everything(3x) before figuring out all the proper cuts. The wall thickness of the sonotubes are different as well for the different sizes. My 7.5" sonotube was 7.38" in diameter....the big sonotube was actually 24" inside diameter.

I've leveled out the padding and glued everything up yesterday. The problem I had was that a lot of the PL glue was just squished out when I put in the top/bottom braces....guess it means it was a tight fit? I added some screws to the top/bottom braces with the sonotube to give it some more support.

Since this thing was long I was unable to seal the inside between the braces and inner sonotube. So I spent some extra time and extra silicone to seal the outside edges where the sonotube meets the braces. I used clear silicone to hide it (goes on white though)....Now it's just time to finish/paint the outside and get REW setup to start testing the SUB.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Now I have start thinking about finishes.....I think I've found something that should work, and is really cheap since I have a big roll in the garage already....and wife gave the OK....I was shocked!

I had some black landscape fabric in a roll, stuff you put on top of soil to stop weeds and hold small rocks in place...It has a nice weave in it and stops a lot of light (couldn't see the blue through it unless I used a flash). It is super easy to work with and has a nice feel to it...It's not that strong when you pull hard on it though....

Do you think this stuff will hold up? I was going to wrap it around 2 times to ensure a strong fit and full light blocking. How would I hide the seam? I was thinking some clear tape to hold the start but don't know how to make a nice seam to connect the end seam....clear glue? I just tried a test piece to see how it would look....

Also I can rest assured that no weeds will start growing out of my tube :)

here's the stuff I'm talking about...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't think of a way you'd make an invisible seam if you intend to do one continuous wrap of two layers. I just carpeted my tube with 1 layer of parts-express speaker carpet and 3m 90 spray adhesive. I glued and wrapped the tube all the way around making sure the carpet overlapped a couple inches, then used a hook blade to cut through both layers with a straight edge. Then I pulled off the underlying excess and glued the edges down. Came out almost invisible.

I imagine you could do the same thing twice if you needed two layers. Lay one layer down, make a nice seam. Lay another layer down and make another seam. Possibly stagger them so they hide better.

Just my thoughts. Hard to say for sure without knowing the material.

EDIT: actually that might be tough since you might pull off the first layer while making the second seam. I'm sure others will have a better idea. haha. Great build though. Looking forward to your impressions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Put the seam on the side that's against the wall or in the corner so it can't be seen. :bigsmile:
I agree....and that's what I went with..

Changed up my idea and went with a Black Fabric Table cloth that was at walmart for $10....has a nice pattern in it and was just big enough. I used Velcro strips on the cloth and sonotub to hold it in place and put the seam on the backside. Used the sewing services of mother-in-law (she was worth keeping around after all :) ) and had it cut/fit and sewed the velcro to the cloth....came out ok.

So it's all finished....100% done.....just need to drop it in place and shake the house!

here's the last photo shoot.....thanks to everyone for all the help along the way....

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Are you going to put a grill or screen of some sort over the port opening? I can just imagine something getting "accidentally" tossed in that humongous hole (do you have kids???) and subsequently bouncing around on the sub...

Nice work on your build :T, I'll bet it sounds as good as it looks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks really good. I think the table cloth turned out nicer then the landscaping felt would have. You won't regret going that direction.

I also like how you did the square base and top. Different than what others have done.

Any pics of its final resting place?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Any pics of its final resting place?
I've been playing the sub for about an hour or so tonight....all I can say is WOW....this thing shakes the house. I have the inuke 3000 at 60% and the whole house is shaking. I played a few scenes from The Avengers and it sounded great....I still have to setup the audessy and get the svs pb12+ working with it, but I'm really excited so far. I'm estimating that this sub came in around $1100 total, and it looks like it was worth every penny!

Here's where it will 'rest'.....

Attachments

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.