Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be gentle I need some hand holding here . I have completed my 1st REW measurements and wanted to post results to solicit your feedback and to make sure I am interpreting the graphs correctly.

My first impression is the lack of spl in the 15 to 33 hz range and it looks like to me that I need to move my 2 subs around a bit perhaps in a corner. I have 2 Paradigm 2100 pw's co located along a side wall about 4 feet back from the screen wall. Is there anything else I should consider before I start moving the subs around? I also tried to show the target mic/meter cal on the graph but for some reason couldn't check the box. I have set the xo at 80 hz so I guess the dip starting at 80 hz is not surprising.
Any help is appreciated.

1st rew graph.jpg

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I also tried to show the target mic/meter cal on the graph but for some reason couldn't check the box.
You have to load the meter cal file into REW before you can select the checkbox. Under Settings and Mic/Meter tab, browse to the cal file in your computer (that you downloaded from the download page for your specific meter) and select the file.

the lack of spl in the 15 to 33 hz range and it looks like to me that I need to move my 2 subs around a bit perhaps in a corner
Yeah, they will offer better extension in a corner. Co-locate them.
A 2100 should have a better bottom end than that. I would say the location is probably at fault.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Is there a way to show all measured with the house curve?Is there anything else I should consider before I start moving the subs around?
You could save yourself (and your back) a lot of trouble by putting the sub(s) at the listening position, and taking the measurements at your various potential locations.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. I loaded the meter cal file into REW and target line now shows in REW.

Yeah I agree the 2100's are probably in the wrong location. When I first set them up I found the current location was the easiest on the ears and without the "one note bass" that I found really annoying. But I will ignore that and look for the best spl location (probably the corner).

I will run new tests and send out the results shortly

cheers
Dwight

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Wayne
Thats a great idea as I am not yet sure how many iterations this exercise will require and your suggestion will save a few back muscles in the process. I will make sure I co locate them at the listening position as they will end up co located wherever the optimal location is to maximize as much spl as possible based on that first graph

cheers
Dwight

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
based on that first grap
Note that the first graph was without the benefit of the meter calibartion file - makes a big difference.

You can either run some new tests (now that the meter file is loaded) or you can apply the file against the first graphs' measurement, by loading the saved first graph and then selecting IR windows icon (top right hand corner of REW page) and click Apply Windows. The loaded meter cal file will be applied to the original measurement.

brucek

·
Registered
133 Posts
You could save yourself (and your back) a lot of trouble by putting the sub(s) at the listening position, and taking the measurements at your various potential locations.

Regards,
Wayne

Oh snap! Does that really work?

Doesn't seem like it would be accurate to the 98th percentile and higher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts