Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know of any plate amps that can run straight off the audio outputs from my tv?
If you don't have a receiver in your bed room how can i add a subwoofer?
It doesn't have to be 2.1 but it be nice.

I know of the Dayton MCA2550D 2.1 Channel Class D Amplifier but it seems a bit weak and too pricey. Is there any others?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Any tv that has phono outputs can send a signal to a plate amp. If your sub amp as high level phono inputs, this is ideal, but the normal low level input would still work as well. If your sending a full range signal to the sub though, you will obviously need to use the on board crossover to try integrate it with the TV, and you would likely need to use the maximum available, meaning you really want the sub as close to you TV as is possible.

Are you thinking of building a sub to add to your tv to improve its sound?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried connecting my living room sub in my bedroom(directly to tv) to see how it sounded but barely turning up the gain was sending to much signal to the sub. Even though i had a the cross over on about 100hz, the sub was still getting alot of full range sound.

I believe the output signal from the tv was at 100%. But with a receiver, the signal to the sub amp is controlled by the receiver according to volume setting.

well being a bass junkie, yes i do want better sound from my 32in lcd samsung which has what maybe a couple of 2in speakers lol

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The TV needs to obviously adjust the output volume from those terminals on it. If it doesnt you cant add a sub. The only other way possible is via a high level connection to a sub that can take it, and a tv with speaker terminals on the rear.

If you dont have any of those, then its not going to happen. Sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No tv volume has no control over it
the signal is constant.
i think that is how all tvs are

because when ever i've hooked up the audio out on plenty of tvs to receivers, the tv can be muted or turned down and the receiver still gets signal.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Have you checked in the TV's menus to see if there is an option to swap from fixed volume output to variable. Some tv's allow this.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately no, mine does not. Do you know of any device that could control the signal? With a rca analog in and out, and just a simple volume knob. That would be perfect.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
well, every time you altered the volume on the tv, you would have to manually adjust the sub, which is no different from adjusting the subs gain anyway. Hope you've stocked up on spl meter batteries :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i see what your saying but with the amp hooked up straight to the tv, turning the gain knob to say 2% was way too loud. So there was really no room for adjustments.

try it and you'll see what i mean.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I did once when I was about ten years old, and again some years later when I spotted a tv where you had the option for variable output. If you have a high level connection, you could remove the cover of the tv and wire in the high level cables to the TV speakers yourself no problem, assuming your upto it.

I would never recommend this if you dont know what your doing though, if you know what I mean. How well the sub would follow the TV though is for experimentation, but in theory thats the best solution.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it seems like that dayton amp is my only ideal option
since it is meant to run off that output.
But at $118 i could get way more wattage from another amp

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
playing with subs at 10 years old :yikes:
I got my first stereo when I was about 7. It was a little one box mono record player, and fro there on the rest is history. I started taking broken things apart about that age too, even though I couldnt fix them, just to look inside. I even managed to fix the odd thing along the way. First thing I did when I was about 13 and got first paper round, was save up and spend the money on a stereo for my room :D. I even used to go to sleep at night with my CD walkman on my head lol.

It wasnt a sub I plugged into my tv, it was a old stereo, but the same thing applied. It was my mums tv. Later she upgraded it to a surround tv (basically quad stereo) and I found some old speakers of and old broken stereo to use on it. Mother was impressed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts