Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After substantial research, I have not managed to locate any well-performing but reasonably priced 2.1 channel receiver or pre/pro that features bass management. I'd prefer using sat speakers in conjunction with a powered subwoofer for music.

Has anyone managed to find something suitable ?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
Like many things, it depends on what you consider reasonable and how much you want to spend.
Have a look at the Classé CP-800 D/A preamplifier about $5000.00
or an Emotiva XSP-1 also offers bass management at a more reasonable price of $999.00.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like many things, it depends on what you consider reasonable and how much you want to spend.
Have a look at the Classé CP-800 D/A preamplifier about $5000.00
or an Emotiva XSP-1 also offers bass management at a more reasonable price of $999.00.
Thanks Mark, the XSP-1 sounds like a sensible solution. Anything else that is more reasonably priced e.g. $300 -500 ?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
Not that I know of for a pure preamp. Could look at the Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver, while not a preamp, it does have pre-outs, bass management and very good reviews, might suit your needs and should be able to pick one up for about $599, or an Outlaw 975, a multi channel that may also work and about $549. I know that's not really what you're looking for but the options are pretty limited.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I know of for a pure preamp. Could look at the Outlaw RR2150 Stereo Receiver, while not a preamp, it does have pre-outs, bass management and very good reviews, might suit your needs and should be able to pick one up for about $599, or an Outlaw 975, a multi channel that may also work and about $549. I know that's not really what you're looking for but the options are pretty limited.
Thanks Mark, that is interesting. I will certainly look into the Outlaw RR2150.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The new PIONEER ELITE VSX 80 has a massive amount of features - all of which can be controlled with an iPHONE app but the iPAD app really shines... $699

HDMI 2.0 inputs Compatible with Ultra HD Upscaling and Pass-through
Multi Channel High Resolution file Playback
Advanced MCACC with Subwoofer EQ
192 kHz/24bit ESS Sabre Premier DAC
Control with an iPAD
Internet Radio
Pandora
DNLA Certified
AIRPLAY

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The harman kardon hk3490 has more features than anything else for the price and the sound quality is better than good
The HK 3490 is awesome, and I have hooked friends, family and fellow enthusiasts up with them. But no bass management system.

Bass management is not always necessary, but with the small sats and sub the OP spec'ed, it will allow more headroom and trouble free operation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Run a minidsp 2x4 through the pre out/main in loop and to the external sub amp. Crossover at 80hz, and adjust gain at sub to dial in spl levels with mains.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Run a minidsp 2x4 through the pre out/main in loop and to the external sub amp. Crossover at 80hz, and adjust gain at sub to dial in spl levels with mains.
Good call.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What scott suggested, you will get better bass management in the long run if you're willing to go the manual route and you won't need the best receiver this way. Also, you might want to look into an older receiver as they will often have more input/output (main in/pre out) options which can be useful if you want it to be flexible. I've noticed that the newer ones might not even have 2 channel pre-outs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue choosing a preamp/receiver. I could not find anything with a remote + quality dac + analog inputs + preamp/main loop. I got my 3490 for $249 from J&R new. I currently run JBL LSR305 and a cerwin vega cls15s even with no high pass on the monitors I have no issues making clean sound at extreme volumes +110 db.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts