Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 10w7s and a 13w7. I want to put either the 2 10w7s or the 13w7 in my car and the other setup in my house. I am a complete amateur when it comes to hooking this stuff up so what amp should I use for either application and how do I hook it up properly to match up the ohms? I am not an audiophile so a basic setup is good enough for me. I just don't want to invest in a new high-quality sub for my home theater so I would rather work with what I already have.

1) For 2 10w7s, what is a good amp to max out their potential for a home theater setting and how must it be wired?

2) For 1 13w7, whit is a good amp to max out its potential for a home theater setting and how must it be wired?

Your help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size is the HT room? What is the maximum box size that is acceptable?
The room is about 40 X 20 and I don't know how to build my own box so I will probably be stuck with the car audio enclosures that were built to JL Audio's specifications for auto use unless I can hire someone to build me an enclosure. I am just trying to find out what I need as an amp to use these car subwoofers in the house. I currently use a JL Audio 1000/1 mono amp to drive the 13w7 and 2 separate JL Audio 500/1 mono amps to drive the 2 10w7s.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I think with a room of that size you would be better off using the two 10"s in the house to help even out the bass in the entire room.:T

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One that puts out 500 Watts...Your choice:T
What was it I saw being discussed in the other thread about the 10w7 and 13w7 being dual voice coils at 1.5 ohm each? Do I need a specific amplifier and do I need to wire it a certain way? I read that a "4 ohm" amplifier would "fry." What is that about?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
In the suggested box size and tuning impedance doesn't go below 3.6 ohms, a 4 ohm amp will be fine.
Agreed, speakers very rarely meet there said impedance weather it be over or under, if you wire them in series you'll end up with the above load and you'll be just fine in the power department.:T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts