Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, these are the subs I have hooked up to my computer. I use them for YouTube, movies, and music. They were $20 per driver, with a 20 oz. magnet and no known T/S parameters. I tried to contact the company for T/S parameters, but no reply. They're in a 2.1 ft^3 pre-fabricated box I got from my neighbor for free, tuned to about 29 Hz, and they peak at about 34 Hz and extend down to about 27 Hz (deepest subs I own :bigsmile:). They get about twice as loud as our cars stock speakers, and my computer desk happens to be the most bass-friendly corner in the whole house : ). They could do a lot better for two 12's, but, for $40 for both, they're good for a little kick!

Here they are:
Subwoofers 1.jpg

Here's a close up:
VR3.jpg

Here's another close up:
VR32.jpg

And here's a blurry picture of them at full excursion... they can only move this much at a few frequencies (subsonic frequencies). At about 20Hz and up, they only move about 5mm.
Ful Excursion.jpg

Also, sorry about the quality of the pictures. They were taken with my webcam because I can't find my camera.

Here's a frequency response from my webcam's mic... it's a low quality microphone but from about 100Hz on down, it's actually not half bad... so the waterfall isn't accurate but it looks about right : ).
capture20.jpg

So, what do you think of my setup? Do you think it's good for a first real subwoofer system? Or is it just plain pitiful? I don't know the db's it hits but I'd have to guess around 100 db's at 30 Hz when I really turn it up. Thanks in advance for replies : ).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry it's been so long since I've been on the Shack : (.

Anyway, the VR3's are from Roadmaster,I bought them at Wal-Mart, and they can handle 40 watts rms each @ 4 ohms, although they can handle up to 400 watts for a few minutes. Most other people with VR3's (on YouTube) give them about 200 watts peak each... so that's why people blow them really easily. They have a very high vas apparently, because as far as physical strength of the cone movement, it's not very strong (it doesn't take a lot to stop it). In a bigger box with a better amp, these would be decent HT subwoofers. But when I move these to any other part of my house, they only go down to about 40 Hz and aren't that loud at all, but, they'd be somewhat good for a small HT.

Has anyone else experimented with these really cheap drivers?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think putting them in a bigger enclosure would help them get louder? More enclosure = more possible for port area = louder... how big do you think an ideal box would be for these? The sheet they cam with recommended 1.5 to 2 cu. ft. sealed... they definitely struggle in the ported box I have them in, as I can hear higher resonances at high volume. 5 cu ft @ 28 Hz? Good project idea for the far future or no?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... then 2.5 cu. ft. each, ported @ 28 Hz sounds like it would be enough for some nice SQ... more space for these subs to breath is exactly what they need!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeahh... tricky laws of physics... but these subs definitely need more room to breath, as I can hear some effects of over-compression.

Also, would you please take a look at my thread about my homemade driver :bigsmile:?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts