Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had soooo much fun doing the $1,000 speakers evaluation, we are going to have a $2,500 speaker evaluation... consisting of a maximum of 5 (five) speakers costing no more than $2,500. Likely we will stay in the cost frame of $2,000 - $2,500.

These are not necessarily for me, but we will have a voting poll and winning speaker like we did on the $1,000 event. I won't say that I ain't gonna keep a pair... you never know. They will have to be awfully good, no doubt. Just in case, we will stick with black in a non-sheen finish. We must be able to power them with the Rogue Cronus Magnum Integrated Tube Amp at about 100 WPC.

Tentatively I have on my short list the following:

MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL at $2,195

Tekton Pendragon at $2,499

Emerald Physics CS2P at $2,490 (thru Underwood HiFi with discount)

Those are just a few I am thinking about for now... nothing definite, but one thing we did learn is that even with two day there just isn't time for more than about 4-5 pairs of speakers. Maybe we do 5 this round and then have another round with 5 and then have two speakers go head to head. At any rate, we are going to limit the number of speakers to a max of 5 for this round. It will likely be on up in the Fall/Winter before we do this... possibly November/December or even January/February. Nothing like preparing ahead of time.

EDIT: Once we get up 10-12 nominees (or more)... we will have a poll to select the top 5 for this event.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Should we assume the Tekton's and Martin Logan's faired well in the two channel shoot out? Just guessing since they're already on your short list. :)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Re: $2,500 Speaker Evaluation Candidates

I'd love to hear how the Song Towers stack up. Some others I'd like to see up for consideration;
RBH Sound 1044-SE in Black Oak, right at the price limit but a great speaker.
Revel Concerta F12 in Black Oak, quite a bit below the limit but I'll bet it can hold it's own.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Would the SVS ultra towers fit in this category? I think they would make good competition.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
What are the parameters of this evaluation? If this is for movies I think the Klipsch rf-7 ii's would be hard to beat at $2k.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is again strictly music with the Rogue tube amp. I have a Audio Space Galaxy 88 coming, but it is not as powerful as the Rogue, so the Rogue will handle the amp duties.

The RF-7's would definitely be interesting, but I am not sure we could get the II's at $2,500 or less. I think they retail for $3,200.

I don't think I would go for the Revel, but the RBH look interesting.

The SVS Ultra's would fit at $2,000/pair. We heard those at CAF and they sounded impressive too. They aim those woofers at odd angles intentionally and it would be interesting to hear them in my room.

If we went with the Songtowers, I think I would want the ribbon tweeter upgrade, which would kick it above the $2,500 mark.

Jeff... I think all the speakers fared well, but you know I own ML stats now, so it only makes sense to include those. I suggested the Pendragons because of their recent popularity. I may try to get the full HT setup in the house at that time so I can do a full review on those. May as well include them in the two-channel round-up while they are here.

With as many out there as there are, it probably does make sense to have two rounds of 5 each, then on the second round we could have the winner of the first round back in for the finale.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
The rf-7 ii's retail for $2400/pr but Chashint provided a link with a coupon code that would deliver them at $2k. They could make things interesting. I listened to a pair while auditioning speakers and they are impressive. Just sayin… :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I wonder what the deal is with the black ones at Sound Distributors... since they are B-stock. It probably would not bother me too much though.

The Anthony Gallo Classico CL-4 seem like they might be interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts

I think it would be interesting to see a $2500 DIY speaker compared to a $2500 retail speaker. Maybe someone who has a $2500 DIY speaker would be willing to submit one for a shootout???

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
The B stock RF-7 I linked to were manufactured with incorrect Cherry veneer, Klipsch decided to sell as B stock rather than scrap.
They are available through Sound Distributors until the supply is depleted.
I have RF-83's and I think they are excellent for music.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'd love to hear an evaluation on def tech 8060st speakers which MSRP at $1998 or the 8080st which can be had on sale for around $2300. If the Martin Logan's and klipsch make the cut the def techs should also be a consideration at least IMO.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

I vote for a pair of the SVS Ultra's. 45 day trial, ships both ways!

I have a lot of time listening to the RF-7's. They are good, but not out of the $1000 arena/shoot out we just had. IMHO. This price range is gonna have to bring something special.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts

When I was out seriously comparing speakers I found a couple of under-performers (cough, polk, cough) but I found no $1k/pr speaker that could compete with the median speaker at the $2k/pr price point.
It's a subjective judgement for sure, but each step up the sound just kept getting better to my ear and for the most part each manufacturer had different aspects of the sound that were appealing and lacking when compared head to head.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts

I would like for a pair of Def Tech speakers to be in the mix too.
I don't know if they still make them or not but the BP series were pretty good sounding speakers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would like for a pair of Def Tech speakers to be in the mix too.
I don't know if they still make them or not but the BP series were pretty good sounding speakers.
They still make them indeed. The two I mentioned are both BP series speakers.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts