Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not see one of these started yet, so here goes. A few thoughts from discussions over the weekend:

• Joe has some favorite tracks that are MP3s, and no lossless source. We definitely should be working with WAVs or FLACs that have never been through a "lossy" generation as our source material, at least for our prime set of eval tracks. If anyone has a favorite track but not the lossless source, post the artist/title here, maybe someone else attending will have access to it.
  • Awhile back I mentioned putting together a couple of "medley" tracks, not intended to replace full-length favorite tracks, but as a way to supplement them. For example, cymbal sounds can tell a lot about clarity in the upper-mids and highs, so I am putting together a 30-40 second sequence of cymbals from different tracks &/or samples. Another might be percussive sounds, or bass stress sounds including that one passage of the genie's voice, etc. Each sequence would be a single track, like maybe a percussion/cymbals track, a bass stress sequence track... Any others that would be of value? Dumb idea altogether? I can't spend a huge amount of time on it, but it might be worth an evening of prep time ahead of the weekend if it gave us some highly focused evaluation sequences.
  • Any special equipment we need to remember to bring or get our hands on?
  • Any procedural questions or suggestions?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thought: It might be good to order the speakers so we start out with models that we know or suspect might be more trouble or take more time to set up, rather than leaving those to the end where we will be tired. The Emerald Physics come to mind with the image smearing we heard at RMAF. We want to be sure they get placed to give them their best chance at imaging, even use the Melody Gardot track to verify ideal placement before eval time starts.

Any other models that might require more careful attention to get set right?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think the samplling tracks is a good idea.

We should put the Nickle Creek song first up too, so that you can use it to get the initial placement right... and perhaps the Melody Gardot song second, since you can check easily for smearing using it.

If there are songs that Joe likes that none of us have, I will probably buy the CD. So Joe, Leonard, let me know what those are. Remember, we probably need to keep the initial evaluation short with about 3 songs each, 12 songs total (and I don't expect we will listen to ALL of those in their entirety)... then maybe a 4-5 minute clip of stuff like Wayne is referring to.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moved the thread here so it is next to the eval thread Sonnie started.

On the topic of using dbpoweramp or Exact Audio Copy to extract CD tracks: To the best of my knowledge, it is only the first extraction, or rip, that is potentially an issue. After that, all file copying/moving/burning involves plenty of error detection and correction. I will use EAC and go back to my original CDs so I can bring those files ready to add to our "USB flash compilation drive."

I will also use EAC for any snippets that I add into the medley tracks I am working on. If anyone has something they want included in that, let me know. Sonnie, was Three Wishes going to be one of your tracks? I was thinking of putting that deepest passage from Three Wishes into a medley track with bass stressors, but if it will be one of your tracks, I won't worry about it.

Right now I am thinking of the following sequences:
  • Cymbals & percussive sounds like bells, triangles, etc, for testing high-end clarity.
  • Sounds that test bass response and handling capability.
  • Female vocals that stress/show imaging ability.
  • A "speed" test track that I made up for headphone testing, short bursts of sine waves at intervals that cover thee entire audio range. If a speaker likes to ring, this will show it.
  • A short sequence of snippets mixed to mono - can come in handy during setup while looking for ideal imaging.
I don't have much time to spend on this, no more than half a day tops, as I have promised Sonnie progress on another project in the next couple of weeks. If you have input, speak up now, I will try to get it done ASAP. If you want something included, extract it using EAC and post it on Google Drive so I can get to it.

I will bring finished test tracks to the event, but will also have laptop with edit capability if we need a last-minute change.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think Three Wishes will probably be a track... as I like it for the lady's voice on the intro, then the genie... and the guitar riff. However... if we can get the lady's voice and the genie part in on the snippets... I can forgo the guitar riff, as it really doesn't tell me a whole lot, I just like to hear it. Not that big of a deal. I think I would rather have the option of another song.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just did a brief look at the dbpoweramp site, about ripping and error types and codes and probabilities and...

This is an area where we could beat ourselves to death with little or no benefit. I suggest we do the following:

All of our main full-length tracks, rip or re-rip with either dbpoweramp or EAC. Latest EAC uses AccurateRip which sounds like a pretty good level of database checking. Snippets used for medley track - if easy to re-rip, I will do it, but if I do not have access to original CD and the track sounds OK, I will use what I already have. For instance, I might grab snippets from a number of the tracks we used in August, and I do not have originals of those CDs, and those tracks all sound good as we used them.

Only the rip operation is in question. A file on a PC can be copied or moved without worry, as extensive error detection is always in place for such operations, as I understand it.

Any objections?

As far as licensing is concerned, we should be sure that at least one of us has legally purchased a CD with each of the tracks we use. Some of the snippets, like cymbals, will be put together using drum plugins/samplers, all of which I legally own and which allow unrestricted use of the output.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking about the Emerald Physics speakers - is there some set of DSP function that is necessary for basic balanced frequency response? We might need it running to get basic good sound out of the design. Sonnie, who could I email to find out more about this?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It simply extends the low bass frequency. We can try with and without. It is plug and play, no adjustments... it's a very tiny box with RCA inputs/outputs.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
As far as the snippets, I think the first minute of Hells Bells has a really good high hat sequence that I have used in the past.

I PM'd AJ as there were a couple of tracks he played while I was in that room that really were a great test of the speakers ability to handle big dynamic shifts. Hopefully, I will hear from him soon.

I am pretty certain one was a Flim and the BBs track called Tricycle or something close to that....

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I have about every Flim CD ever pressed... and know for a fact I have the Tricycle CD and song.
Yay - I choose that one then! Also, I spoke with AJ, and he is going to send me a CD with the songs I heard and who each is. I got the names of a couple, but not all.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I also picked up...

Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter (24 Karat Gold CD)
Vienna Teng - Waking Hour (Original Recording Reissued)
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (MFSL SACD)

I don't know that I will use any of them, but there area a few songs on each one that I really like. I plan to listen through them while breaking in these speakers. I could listen to the DS album through and through every day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts