Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DVC speaker and am wondering if I bought 2 of the exact same amplifiers if it would be safe to run one per voice coil?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Safe yes, advisable no. What's the point? what advantage are you looking for? If you want the speaker to play louder, buy a bigger watt amp instead of two smaller amps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
because I already have one of the smaller amps and another smaller amp is cheaper than a bigger amp.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't know if your amps are (bridgeable) or not but if they are that's a way to get more volume. In that case you'd hook the speaker voice coils in series or parallel, depending on their impedance 2 or 4 ohm, and run the speaker with the amps bridged.
If you can't (bridge) your amps then running one amp per voice coil won't give you more volume but it gives you a chance to introduce unequal signals (even a small degree of difference between the two amps may produce noticeable distortion) or successfully integrated might give you stereo woofage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the plan would be to run each amp bridged to one VC. I know it would be possible to have one amp possibly put out say 2% more output than the other one (which would seem huge to me considering they would both be getting the same power and are the same amp) but I do not think it could actually harm the speaker in any way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Safe yes, advisable no. What's the point? what advantage are you looking for? If you want the speaker to play louder, buy a bigger watt amp instead of two smaller amps.
+1. At best doubling the power will only get you 3dB, and you won't even get that if one amp already takes the driver to full excursion.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Not necessarily . . . . . it depends on your particular driver and it's PE rating and the amps power (watts output) rating. If you've already tried driving the speaker with your amp bridged without incident then I'd "guess" it won't. Hooking it up the way you've indicated won't add any significant volume.
The listed wattage of speakers is often pretty inaccurate and so can the output power of an amp. What WILL definitely happen driving both voice coils independently with both amps bridged is you'll create more heat at the speaker, possibly more heat than it's designed for.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, yeah I realize it is more complicated.

The reason behind this madness is I want to upgrade my driver but without more power it will not be any real upgrade. And the fact is buying a new large amp is more expensive than just buying another smaller amp.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Right, yeah I realize it is more complicated.

The reason behind this madness is I want to upgrade my driver but without more power it will not be any real upgrade. And the fact is buying a new large amp is more expensive than just buying another smaller amp.
Well, as Mike P. and thxgoon say, it would be helpful to know which driver and amplifier. Without knowing that, I certainly think it can be a substantial upgrade going to a new driver without more power. You can get lower distortion, more excursion capability, better low frequency extension, better high end, etc.!

Why not sell your small amplifier to help offset the cost of a new bigger amplifier?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a A500 amp and am thinking of getting the Maelstrom-X driver.

The A500 can driver 8 ohm loads bridged so 2 would work out pretty well for one subwoofer.

With only one A500 it would be getting very little power to the driver.

I don;t really want to sell it because I tried a EP2500 on my system and it had some serious hum and the line level was all wrong, I know certain EQ's can fix this but thats just extra money I am not trying to spend and extra stuff I have to turn on and off.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Behringer advertises A500 as producing 230 watts into 4 ohms or 500 watts into 8 ohms bridged. If you believe the advertised claims that's a lot of power.
Now, if you're going to add another A500 AND another driver to your system I can go along with THAT . . . . especially if the next driver is a Maelstrom-X!
However someone's gotta tell you and it might as well be me . . . . . as good as your plan might be and as nice as it might turn out to perform, the Maelstrom-X can handle MUCH more power than is available with the A500 and there are many other guys who have successfully mated the EP2500 to the Maelstrom-X along with an equalizer for some of the best subwoofer performance available either DIY OR commercial no matter what price paid!
But this is a DIY forum and we all have ideas of our own to try and a wallet that's never more than half full. Keep us informed and let us in on your build and experiment as you move through the process. We can ALL learn something new, pass or fail.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Behringer advertises A500 as producing 230 watts into 4 ohms or 500 watts into 8 ohms bridged. If you believe the advertised claims that's a lot of power.
Now, if you're going to add another A500 AND another driver to your system I can go along with THAT . . . . especially if the next driver is a Maelstrom-X!
However someone's gotta tell you and it might as well be me . . . . . as good as your plan might be and as nice as it might turn out to perform, the Maelstrom-X can handle MUCH more power than is available with the A500
1. I do not believe the claims because how come it magically goes from 230x2 to 500x1? LOL, I saw real world test that used a home circuit claiming 380 watts bridged.

2. I would be using both A500's on the Maelstrom so that would be around 800watts to the Maelstrom and I would probably ditch my current driver. I realize a single A500 would be kinda a waste of the huge xmax of the M-X which is why I am wondering if using two to drive it will work OK.

3. I know more people are going to tell me to just sell the A500 and get a "real" amp but I want to see this works first because I like the A500's ease of use, and if I decide to upgrade in the future I can use these A500's for Fronts and the Center if I need to. I am also a musician so these would make great little keyboard/bass/PA amps.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
3. I know more people are going to tell me to just sell the A500 and get a "real" amp but I want to see this works first because I like the A500's ease of use, and if I decide to upgrade in the future I can use these A500's for Fronts and the Center if I need to. I am also a musician so these would make great little keyboard/bass/PA amps.
Now I understand more your desire to try two A500s. I still don't agree but it's not my project.
What I'd personally like to find out from your finished project is whether or not driving each voice coil of the speaker with these particular separate amps of equal wattage actually DOES/WILL double or increase the output volume. Electrical law says no but I'd like you to prove that for me.
Go for it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I understand more your desire to try two A500s. I still don't agree but it's not my project.
What I'd personally like to find out from your finished project is whether or not driving each voice coil of the speaker with these particular separate amps of equal wattage actually DOES/WILL double or increase the output volume. Electrical law says no but I'd like you to prove that for me.
Go for it.

Increase it from which baseline? What senario would it not increase the volume, I guess I don't understand what setup you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't think doubling the number of amplifiers automatically doubles the watts or the driver output volume in SPL. The SPL volume of the driver is more dependent on voltage rather than amperage. To change the ouput voltage of that amp would require increasing the "rail voltage" and that doesn't happen by simply by adding two amps to the same driver with two voice coils.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so real world comparison lets say I ran the amp at stereo 8 OHM and it put out 150watts per voice coil or I ran it as 2 amps and they delivered 380 per voice coil at 8 ohms.

You are saying the 380 watts per would not increase the cone excursion?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts