Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Two elementary systems...for movies and music

In a lower class than the members of this fine site, but what I'm able with my p/t grocery store job. I'm still proud of what I have in our townhome.

For movies:
Denon dra635r receiver, Denon dvd1930ci dvd player, Seas Froy Mk3 speakers, Sony 46" lcd hdtv

For music:
Proton am300 amp, Rotel rt940ax tuner, Music Hall mmf2.2 turntable, Polk ls f/x dipole/bipole speakers

(ps. Sorry about the cheezy photos, I'm a little confused how to post my photos instead of the little thumbnails)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Re: Two elementary systems...for movies and music

In a lower class than the members of this fine site, but what I'm able with my p/t grocery store job. I'm still proud of what I have in our townhome.

For music:
Proton am300 amp, Rotel rt940ax tuner, Music Hall mmf2.2 turntable, Polk ls f/x dipole/bipole speakers

(ps. Sorry about the cheezy photos, I'm a little confused how to post my photos instead of the little thumbnails)
Very nice. Please tell me you bring those speakers away from the wall and space them out when you sit down to listen.

Do you run them as Bi or Di pole for music?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Even though the positioning is too closed in and it's more like a Bose radio with no soundstage to speak of. To answer your other question, I use the dipole setting because bipole, with front and rear drivers out of phase, is too diffused for this situation.

It has very high WAF and I was ecstatic when my lovely wife actually volunteered her praise that the system looks really nice and the stereo show up nicely in the corner. The last time she commented on a system was 16 years ago when she walked in the room and said the stereo sounded great (just purchased an Adcom pre/power).

Yes, it's not ideal but my wife loves our 'Rustic Room' with music in it.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I'm sorry to report that not only the photos on post #77, page 8 are gone, but MrAcoustat is gone.

This was one of them. Here he is in front of a Spectra 8800 that belongs to the gentleman who built his steel framed 1+1s.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I always admired and would have LOVED to have heard Mr. Acoustat's Chord electronic powered Acoustat panels.

R.I.P., Mr. Acoustat.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Yeah, he definitely had an awesome system. The first electrostatics I ever heard were a pair of 1+1s. I had a pair of Big Advents at the time, and to say that my jaw dropped would be an understatement. I've still never owned a pair ESLs, but I do have a pair of Stax Lambda SRs that I bought 32 years ago (although they've been boxed up in a closet for years). Time's a wastin'...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It has been years since I posted in this thread. All my systems have changed somewhat. Here is the latest for my main 2-channel system.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Nice work! Looks like a carefully planned and sonically logical fit into a what seems to be a challenging space.
Thanks, Lou. My room is very challenging, but I have managed to get decent imaging and fairly flat room response with only a single cut @ 35 Hz using the sub amp parametric EQ. My Trinnov DSP is not being used.

Recently took this system into surround sound (5.1), but am still using it for 2 channel music listening 99% of the time, or better. Next evolutionary steps will likely be an Emotiva XMC-1 for the Dirac Live capability (You can't tailor Trinnov, which why I am not using it. Just sounds better without it.), some treatments to help bring the room symmetry, and possibly bass traps.

Oh, and an OPPO universal player, swap out my Emotiva XPA-3 for an XPA-5, or possibly add a pair of XPA-1L monoblocks, build out my third 18" subwoofer, and, and, and... :spend:

It is a never ending story. Here is where this room was 7 short years ago, and there have been 3 other full systems in the room following this one.

Room 2008.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
My room as of late 2015
Been following your rig for a bit and love it. Love the room, diggin the L/R speakers (not sure why there's a center speaker in a 2 channel system?), the subwoofers look ruthless wow and the furniture seems comfy but please ditch the cheap Emotiva junk. You have all this good gear and you cheap out big time on what powers and controls all of it. Totally counter productive and short sighted. Yeah we all like to save a buck but c'mon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Been following your rig for a bit and love it. Love the room, diggin the L/R speakers (not sure why there's a center speaker in a 2 channel system?), the subwoofers look ruthless wow and the furniture seems comfy but please ditch the cheap Emotiva junk. You have all this good gear and you cheap out big time on what powers and controls all of it. Totally counter productive and short sighted. Yeah we all like to save a buck but c'mon.
I'm not sure you made yourself clear on that one. Please tell us how you really feel. :rofl2:

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Thanks for the complements. :wave:

I was using a Sherwood/Newcastle R972 as a pre/pro, and recently swapped it out for... :yikes: an Emotiva XMC-1, adding an XPA-2 Gen 2 for the mains, letting the XPA-3 Gen 2 handle center and surrounds.

About the center channel. There are surrounds, too, but it is a 99% music system, the surround and HDTV rarely come on. The difference the Dirac enabled XMC-1 makes overshadows any small differences between capable amplifiers. Dirac is like oxygen to me, and much more user friendly than the Trinnov enabled Newcastle.

Initially I preferred to try a Parasound Halo A21 or Odyssey Stratos for my mains, but couldn't justify the expense over choosing Dirac. My amplifier decision was further aided by our findings in this ABX amp evaluation. I have no regrets... and I still have the Exposure 2010S to play with.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/115674-home-theater-shack-2015-high-end-amplifier-evaluation-event-reporting-discussion-thread.html

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here is the latest setup in my back room. It is a combination of new, old, vintage and DIY. I made the turntable, amplifier, linestage and horns,

181 - 200 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.