Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What are they? I see a JBL looking slot tweeter, and the 15/18 looks like vintage JBL, but the horn looks like an Altec 511 sectoral.
You have a very good eye for drivers. I made these custom speakers using drivers for how I wanted to hear the music. The Altec 511B horns with Altec 802-8G drivers gives me the big open and airy sound for a magical midrange. The JBL 077 slot tweeters add the top end detail and "sizzle". The JBL 2235H bring it all home with solid tight bass that dips down into sub territory. You may read about these in this thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/27525-custom-3-way-horn.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
^ I ran Altec 511's and 811's with the 802 D's back in the late 70's in a mobile DJ system. JBL 2205 15's for low end, in rear horn loaded JBL copy enclosures. Used JBL 2405's in numerous projects over the years and have 2206 12's and 2245 18's in current system.

The Altec 511 horns sound great and are very unique for sure - Voice of the Theatre era hardware.

I noticed some JBL pro looking drivers on the Sun Room system as well.

That cabinet work is sublime. The custom's in the guest room are interesting as well. Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
^ I ran Altec 511's and 811's with the 802 D's back in the late 70's in a mobile DJ system. JBL 2205 15's for low end, in rear horn loaded JBL copy enclosures. Used JBL 2405's in numerous projects over the years and have 2206 12's and 2245 18's in current system.

The Altec 511 horns sound great and are very unique for sure - Voice of the Theatre era hardware.

I noticed some JBL pro looking drivers on the Sun Room system as well.

That cabinet work is sublime. The custom's in the guest room are interesting as well. Thanks for posting the link.
The speakers in the sun room are JBL C50 Olympus with custom CNC "smith horns" and JBL 2405 sitting on top. You may read more on the horns in this thread:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/51239-custom-jbl-2397-smith-horn-clones.html

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am impressed by all of these setups... very nice gear. Thanks to everyone who has shared pics. I hope we continue to see more.

Those speakers in #38 look really familiar.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I am impressed by all of these setups... very nice gear. Thanks to everyone who has shared pics. I hope we continue to see more.

Those speakers in #38 look really familiar.
The Martin Logan Prodigy electrostats were my mains in the home theater until the Klipsch Jubilee horns moved in. These are from the Klipsch pro line and are sold as the speakers that go behind the screen at movie theaters. Although, these were custom ordered with South African mahogany in the Klipsch plant in Hope Arkansas. I also added the grills to make them more home friendly. While the they can play very loud the advantage to the large horns is they articulate very well at low volumes. It is like being able to hear a whisper very clearly. I use a EV DX-38 active crossover and biamp these.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sweet gear. Here's one of my speakers, I gotta clean up a bit before I take a room shot.

The drivers are Sony XPLOD 12" subs, rated at 360 watts RMS each and wired parallel for a 2 ohm load in an acoustic suspension enclosure... More interestingly, the subs are good up to 1,000 Hz which was more than high enough for me to mate directly with my horns, which can go down to 600 Hz. Crossover is at 700 Hz (currently). The end result is a truly full-range 2-way system. Bi-amped with Crown XTi-2002 for the bass (1,000 watts/channel RMS @ 2 ohms), Crown XTi-1000 for the highs - crossover is achieved in the Crowns' DSP.

Here's a peek at the compression driver and horn. It's resting on a 40 lb slab of stone and a 10lb weight - the horn is covered in duct putty, this picture is before I put felt on the horn's flange and cleaned it up...

·
Registered
24 Posts
^ While I do appreciate the high end and vintage factory gear. For me the DIY stuff is my favorite and active crossovers are the best of the best without a doubt. Very nice - bet they have some good dynamic range and punch.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Since we are seeing quite a bit of vintage gear, here is my old setup:

Dual 1245 w/ Shure M97xe
Oppo DV-970HD (not vintage)
Akai AT-2600
Harman Kardon TD-4400
Audiosource PreOne/A
Two Phase Linear 400 Series I
Stacked double New Large Advents

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
It is a bit of a different category, but seeing all these vintage speakers, especially with the Altec Lansing horns, takes me back to the college days, playing in a cover band, with a pair of Altec Lansing A7s on each side of the stage just for vocals. Definitely overkill. They could crank out some serious, serious volume, and sounded incredibly nice even to my young rock 'n roll ears. Wish I still had them. Fun pictures, all, keep them coming.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It is a bit of a different category, but seeing all these vintage speakers, especially with the Altec Lansing horns, takes me back to the college days, playing in a cover band, with a pair of Altec Lansing A7s on each side of the stage just for vocals. Definitely overkill. They could crank out some serious, serious volume, and sounded incredibly nice even to my young rock 'n roll ears. Wish I still had them. Fun pictures, all, keep them coming.
Your picture is upside down. I ran A7 Voice of the Theater in my main two channel rig for years. To make them more wife friendly, I did cover them in walnut, made full walnut grills and build solid walnut bases for them. I love that big 511B horn for vocals.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Your picture is upside down.

Yes, that does look better, good catch. Although we stacked our PA setup with the upper cabinets upside down, so that is the way I saw them 50% of the time. It's only rock 'n roll.

I ran A7 Voice of the Theater in my main two channel rig for years. To make them more wife friendly, I did cover them in walnut, made full walnut grills and build solid walnut bases for them.

I love that big 511B horn for vocals.
Beautiful for vocals, yes they were. And your cabinets went way beyond wife friendly to downright snappy. Beautiful job. Two of ours were ratty grey, the other two a beat up wood veneer, all pretty ugly. It's only rock 'n roll.

·
Registered
24 Posts
^ Something isn't quite right in the picture of the VOTT's. Going from memory, the 511 sectoral horn, when mounted in the cabinet replaced a blank panel. The panel was the same size as the horn frontal footprint and there were bass slots for the reflex cabinet on either side of the panel, when in place or the horn when mounted in the cabinet.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
^ Something isn't quite right in the picture of the VOTT's. Going from memory, the 511 sectoral horn, when mounted in the cabinet replaced a blank panel. The panel was the same size as the horn frontal footprint and there were bass slots for the reflex cabinet on either side of the panel, when in place or the horn when mounted in the cabinet.
You could be right, I just found the online photo that matched my memory the closest. It could contain errors, although there are a lot of variations in the photos out there.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Added a little bit more :whistling: woofage to the mix. It's the same model Eminence driver as before, now in a larger, vented cabinet. Dual Chase Home Theater VS-18.1's.

IMG_1478.jpg

41 - 60 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.