Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice exotic two channel DIY setup and no rug on the hard wood floor for sound treatment :gulp: The speakers look really cool. Seems like the glass on the speakers themselves could possibly produce unwanted reflections also.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice exotic two channel DIY setup and no rug on the hard wood floor for sound treatment :gulp: The speakers look really cool. Seems like the glass on the speakers themselves could possibly produce unwanted reflections also.
All speakers have baffle reflection. So using wood or glass or whatever isn't the issue. It's how you deal with them. Crossover frequency and the open baffle design of theses speakers make a larger than normal baffle a good thing, providing its designed properly. It's all relative.
In my case, carpet isn't needed. To assume it's needed is another topic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
All speakers have baffle reflection. So using wood or glass or whatever isn't the issue. It's how you deal with them. Crossover frequency and the open baffle design of theses speakers make a larger than normal baffle a good thing, providing its designed properly. It's all relative.
In my case, carpet isn't needed. To assume it's needed is another topic.
Is that glass or plexi? What is the thickness? If it is glass I'd be interested in how you cut it and mounted the drivers. I've thought about including glass in some of my builds, and planning on acrylic for a subwoofer build.

·
Registered
230 Posts
These are using Marguard, which is in the Lexan family. 5/8" thick.
Originally I was going to use glass but the Marguard was offered at a very low price, so I used it instead. You can have the glass cut by a water jet company. There are several ways to fasten the speakers to the glass.
I've seen subwoofers made from glass. Take a look at Perfect8 audio. They make glass speakers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The veneer is waterfall bubinga. It was a little tricky to wrap becaue the veneer is very thin and brittle, but they turned out well.
Thank you for the reply!
Did you soak the wood in something special, or just plain water?
I assume you vacuum bagged?

Again, beautiful looking speakers, I'm not quite there in skill level, but not too far behind.
Your post and craftsmanship are inspiring. Thank you.

Bob

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you for the reply!
Did you soak the wood in something special, or just plain water?
I assume you vacuum bagged?

Again, beautiful looking speakers, I'm not quite there in skill level, but not too far behind.
Your post and craftsmanship are inspiring. Thank you.

Bob
Thanks for the compliments.

On many veneers you don't need to use anything to treat it before bending. But in my case I used a veneer conditioner. You apply it with a water bottle (it's mostly water). You can get it at most specialty wood supply shops.
A vacuum bag wouldn't work for this shape. If I made this in two pieces, it would have worked perfectly.
Instead I used the iron method. PVA glue reacts to heat so you can work on small sections at a time and not worry about glue drying on you. I can provide more detail if you like.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The product I used is from Custom Bond. It's a standard veneer softener. I payed about $80 for a gallon, which I mix with water about 50/50. You only need to mist it on both sides. I usually place the veneer between some sheet goods to keep them nice and flat.
This stuff is only needed for tough to work with veneers or tough projects.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I found some photos of a 3-way speaker system I built for a friend about 5 years ago. He wanted to use his Hybrid Audio car speakers for his home speakers. He also asked for an outboard crossover and the ability ti bi-amp. The speaker is finished in Cherry veneer on the sides and back, the a multi layer finish was applied to add colour and depth. The front baffle is covered in bases veneer and was stained slightly to allow the grain to "pop".

In the end, this turned out to be a very good sounding speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
This photo shows the back side. The tweeter was a little thicker than the baffle so I had an aluminum cone made and painted it black. Looks much better in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here is a photo of the outboard crossover. It's a simple 1st order using some good quality parts. Baffle step correction and impedance correction have been applied. I used the same wood and finish on the cabinet.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Finally, here is a photo in the room they're being used in. This room is also used as a HT. The 2 channel system is not used for movies.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.