Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. For studio use, is it ok to sit in the chair right behind the measurement mic? Assuming it should take a person, in the mixing area, into account.

2. Is it possible to load your own sine sweep or pink noise file for REW to use for measurement? Please say no haha, my other engineer friend has a wacky/weird idea if it's possible.

Thanks again folks!

Ps. I've had nothing but fast, informative help on this forum! Pretty rare in other forums.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
1. It shouldn't make a significant difference, but I would suggest you just stay out of the way during measurements. You can always experiment to see the impact.

2. Yes, both sine and PinkPN are possible. PinkPN can be saved directly from REW Signal Generator panel. A sine sweep needs to be recorded with Audacity or similar program. Depending on what you intend to do there may be better options.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I took a measurement while sitting in my chair behind the mic, then took another one with the chair and myself not near the mic at all. Both readings were remarkably similar!!!

Back to the custom sine and PN files.....my buddy had the idea of recording the EQ that was given after the initial measurement, onto a flat sine wave. Therefore giving us a new sine wave, that is not flat, and had our room eq on it. Then use that custom sine for a new measurement to kind of help get our room even flatter. And it would give us 20 new bands of EQ recommendation.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
... recording the EQ that was given after the initial measurement, onto a flat sine wave. Therefore giving us a new sine wave, that is not flat, and had our room eq on it. Then use that custom sine for a new measurement to kind of help get our room even flatter. And it would give us 20 new bands of EQ recommendation.
Yes, you can record the EQed sweep and it will act as you intend.

I am not clear why that is needed though. REW already allows up to 20 filters if you select the "Generic" device.

Also, it is not a good idea to EQ all the ripples in the SPL response. Most of the advice I have read here and elsewhere is basically along the lines of:
> The bass range responds well to EQ.
> The upper range should not be EQed except for using low Q filter to add/subtract from the roll off rate to adjust for room, distance or personal taste (chosen house curve).
> The middle range EQ is challenging and may or may not be helpful.
> High Q filters should be avoided particularly in the middle and upper range.
> 10 filters should be more than enough for most all setups.

There is nothing wrong with trying it out for yourself to see if you agree. I did, and I generally agree with this advice. I like to EQ to average SPL in a window around the LP, but even then the middle range is hard to sort out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts