Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a pioneer 1019 AVR and 2 pairs of energy take classics. I was thinking of doubling up the front left, right and center channel to give me a bit more mid range at lower volumes. I would run just a single sat speaker at the rears and I'm using a stock energy take classic subwoofer. I know this is not an ideal set up but i feel that a single setup is a bit lacking in my 16x14 open floor plan living room. This is my 2nd theater set up my first consists of a 7.1 energy tower/ book shelf set up with a pair of dayton audio 12" subs so I'm aiming to gain a bit more of that warmth i get from my main theater. Would this set up work out for me or am i risking any damage? How would i go about setting this up? Again this will be mostly lower volume movie watching and i all ready have everything on hand. Im open to what you guys think would be best Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Welcome to HTS, dugan661!

Doubling up speakers will cause lobing, also known as comb filtering. The in room response with have sharp peaks and nulls, making a graph looking something like a comb!

More problems will be created than solved. You would be best served by moving the existing speakers around. Even a few inches or less one way or another can make a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to HTS, dugan661!

Doubling up speakers will cause lobing, also known as comb filtering. The in room response with have sharp peaks and nulls, making a graph looking something like a comb!

More problems will be created than solved. You would be best served by moving the existing speakers around. Even a few inches or less one way or another can make a difference.
Thanks for the welcome!

Moving the speakers around is not a option at this time. What exactly would happen if I doubled them up? Im mostly looking for a deeper sound. As i find the take classics to sound a bit thin compared to my main set-up.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
dugan661 - While this is not a shot of an in room loudspeaker response, it does illustrate the effects of comb filtering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Comb_filter_response_ff_neg.svg

Another consideration is the load on the amp. At the very least you will heat it up quite a bit more, worst case scenario for the amp is a heat death that could take the speakers with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts