Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to have one pair of speakers with 2 different sources. I want my turntable which will be hooked up to a stereo preamp as one source, and my AVP as a 2nd source. The speakers will have built in amps and minidsp crossovers. Each minidsp 2x4 has 2 balanced inputs (a left and a right), and 4 balanced outputs. My plan is to use one input for the stereo and one for the output. I could then run 2 stereo amps in each speaker...since the speakers are 2 way the left could be for stereo, and the right for the AVP. I would use a Insteon wall outlet for each amp so I could turn on the amp for the stereo, or turn on the amp for the AVP remotely with an app.

Do I need any other safety item to make sure both are never on?

Problems?

Suggestions?

A 2nd option would be to put a y connector on the input of a minidsp 88a, and have it do the crossover, and processing too, but this one I do not think will allow multiple amps to each output connector.

3rd option put a switch on each speaker to select source..which leaves me withnthe turntable setup not having any room tune.

Just to let everyone know why I am doing it this way...My AVP will be remotely installed, and have 75' of balanced XLR cables. The turntable will be in the same room(as the speakers and amp, and crossover), so I will use another preamp for it, and would like to have the Dirac used too...without using another pair of speakers for stereo.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read another option...run the output of the stereo preamp to the AVP aux input, and just use the AVP.

What do you think is best for sound?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can easily do this with a simple speaker source selector. Like an A/B switch. I have one in my home theater, to select between the stereo only, tube amplification, and the 9.2 surround solid state theater processing.

It is a push button, and even my wife can work it!

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can easily do this with a simple speaker source selector. Like an A/B switch. I have one in my home theater, to select between the stereo only, tube amplification, and the 9.2 surround solid state theater processing.

It is a push button, and even my wife can work it!
Thanks, I will look into this...my situation is a little different as the speakers will be active with the amps, and crossovers builtin to the speakers. Maybe I can get a A/B source selector switch with RCA, and XLRs.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts