Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
i just posted about making a svs pb12+2 clone..but ran into problems running these subs with the plate amp i had. since the subs are single voice coil 4ohms it looks like the best thing to do is sell the plate amps i have and purchase two 300watt plate amps that mcm has on sale and use those..one for each driver. i have already made the cabinet..added the ports etc so i dont really want to change the design. just curious if powering each sub with a different amp in the same enclosure with no separation will cause any issues?

·
Registered
241 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem as long as they are getting the same signal and are in phase. If you are not stuck on biult in amp(s), and if you haven't cut the hole(s) yet, you might want to consider a seperate amp, a good pro amp would have plenty of power and can be bridged so you have one wire going to the sub, that way you know for sure the drivers will be getting the same signal. Or you could go with an LT1300 plate amp. I am not sure what the power would be wired to 8ohms, but should easily be more than 300watts to each driver. Probably close to 500each

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
One thing you need to do, set your gains the same, you don't want one sub hotter then the other!

we use a multimeter to set the gains on the amps (car amps) when we use two amps for two speakers on the same box(no divider)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Matching gains is not that hard really, but you do need a multimeter.

Other then that you will have no problems at all. just make sure its all sealed up good and enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts